WEEK 5: JULY 11/12
Setting an example for others by what you say and what you do.
I can be a leader who lets others go first!
MEMORY VERSE: 1 TIMOTHY 4:12 (NIV)
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.
A Brave New Leader
CABIN COLOR starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins.
Cabin Color is a time to welcome campers to your group and Camp Wannastay. You’ll introduce yourself and help campers apply the cabin color tattoo. Have campers sign in on the cabin roll call sheet. Campers can then hangout and get to know the other campers in their cabin with a fun activity.
CABIN SIGN-IN SHEET, CLIP BOARD, PEN, CABIN TATTOO, WIPES, UNO CARDS (2 DECKS PER eGROUP), SPOONS UNO INSTRUCTION SPPONS, UNO WAR INSTRUCTION CARDS, SLAP GAME INSTRUCTION CARD, GO FISH GAME INSTRUCTION CARD, UNO GAME INSTRUCTION CARD
SAY: “My name is __________________ and I’m your eGroup Camp Counselor! This summer you’ll be a camper at Motion’s Camp Wannastay! Every weekend of Camp Wannastay you’ll be part of a camp cabin. Today we are the (insert cabin color) cabin! As a cabin we’ll hang out together during camp, hear stories from the Bible, talk about what it means to follow Jesus, and play games! But first you need to register for camp by signing the cabin roll call sheet and putting on your (insert cabin color) cabin tattoo!”
- As campers enter your cabin have them sign their first name on the cabin roll call sheet. Younger campers may need help signing in.
- Help campers apply a cabin tattoo using a wipe. Older campers can apply the cabin tattoos on their own OR you can assign one camper to help other campers apply their cabin tattoo. NOTE: Placement options for tattoos are hands or arms. The tattoo should be visible.
- Use the Spoons UNO instruction card to teach the campers how to play Spoons UNO.
- Use the UNO War game instruction card and play UNO War with the UNO cards.
- Use the Go Fish game instruction card and play Go Fish with the UNO cards.
- Use the Slap game instruction card and play Slap UNO with the UNO cards.
- Use the UNO game instruction card and play UNO with the UNO cards.
ONCE THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS (5:00, 9:30, 11:30)
Roll Call is a time for campers to get to know their eGroup Camp Counselor and each other. Participate with the campers and have fun. Make sure to introduce the Cabin Flag and Cabin Award.
CABIN FLAG, CABIN ROLL CALL SHEET, CABIN POINTS (ON BACK OF ROLL CALL SHEET), PEN
SAY: “Today at Camp Wannastay we have our very own cabin flag! (Wave cabin flag.) We’ll take it with us to Large Group to show our cabin spirit! I’ll chose someone from our group being a great leader to carry the flag to Large Group. The next thing we’ll do at Camp Wannastay is Roll Call! When you hear me call your name, stand up and say your favorite fruit.”
DO: Use the camp roll call sheet to call on all campers. Each camper will sit back down after his/her name has been called.
SAY: “During our time at Camp Wannastay we are going to learn how to be leaders who set examples for others by what they say and what they do. We will learn following Jesus will make us great leaders because Jesus is the greatest leader ever! Today we have a chance to win the CABIN AWARD by leading the way in attending Camp Wannastay, reading our Bibles, and learning God’s word by saying the Camp Wannastay motto. If we have the most points at the end of today we win the CABIN AWARD and get to choose a prize from the BUG BIN! We’ll get points for each of those things and for winning the Large Group games. Let’s see how may points we earn so far today.”
DO: Use the cabin points sheet to record points for the following things:
- ATTENDANCE: One point for every camper in attendance.
- BIBLE: One point for every camper who brings a Bible.
- LARGE GROUP GAME: Five points for each game the cabin wins.
SAY: “To help our cabin be leaders in learning God’s word let’s practice 1 Timothy 4:12, our Camp Wannastay motto. This verse from the Bible helps us remember we can be leaders right now if we follow Jesus’ example in what we say and what we do. Our actions, words, and thoughts should show others we follow Jesus. Repeat the words and motions after me.”
Don’t let anyone look down on you (shake head “no”) because you are young, (pat head)
but set an example for the believers (hands out to sides, palms up) in speech, (cup hands around mouth)
in conduct, (pound fists on top of each other) in love, (make heart with hands)
in faith and in purity. (point to head) 1 Timothy (hold up pointer finger) 4:12 (hold up four fingers)
DO: Practice the verse a few times and then allow campers to say the Camp Wannastay motto. Use the cabin points sheet to record two points for each camper who can say the Camp Wannastay motto.
During Orientation campers will learn how they can earn cabin keys during Camp Wannastay. Their first weekend attending Camp Wannastay, campers will receive a camp key chain to collect their cabin keys. At anytime during the series campers can turn in their cabin keys to redeem for prizes.
CAMP KEY CHAINS, CABIN KEYS (ORANGE AND GREEN), CAMP MOTTO TAGS
SAY: “Not only do we have a chance to win the Cabin Award together, but you can also earn your own prizes! Each time you attend Camp Wannastay and bring your Bible to camp you will earn cabin keys. These cabin keys will help you earn awesome prizes! The tag on your camp key chain has 1 Timothy 4:12, our Camp Wannastay motto, so you can practice during the week!”
- Give new campers (VIP and new to series) a camp key chain with a Camp Wannastay motto tag attached to collect cabin keys on.
- Award campers a cabin key for the following:
- ATTENDANCE= 1 green cabin key
- BRINGING A BIBLE= 1 orange cabin key
- Explain the prizes campers can earn by collecting cabin keys. Campers can turn in their cabin keys any weekend for the following:
- SNACK FROM THE CAMP CANTEEN= 4 cabin keys
- CAMP WANNASTAY T-SHIRT= 8 cabin keys
SAY: “I know you will all be great leaders in this challenge by coming as many weekends as you can to Camp Wannastay and bringing your Bible with you, too! It’s important to come every weekend and learn from the Bible so you can learn to be a leader by following Jesus’ example!
I’ll be watching to see who in our group is setting an example for others by what they say and do during Camp Wannastay. At the end of today I’ll nominate one of you to win the LEADER AWARD.”
TIP: Set expectations about the keys and key chains. Campers should not throw the key chains or twirl them around on their finger. Campers should wear the key chains on their wrists or ankles or keep them in their pockets.
TAKE CABIN FLAG TO LARGE GROUP. PLACE IN FLAG HOLDER ON STAGE.
TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
I CAN BE A LEADER
BIBLE STORY AND DISCUSSION
BIBLE STORY CARDS, CABIN MAT, PENS, CRAYONS, SCENARIO CARD, RESPONSE STICKERS
SAY: “During Cabin Time we are going to see what the Bible says about being a leader. Today we’ll read about a leader who let others go first. Her name was Deborah. Listen for how Deborah trusted and obey God by letting others go first.”
- Use the Bible Story Cards to read Judges 4.
- What did God ask Barak and the Israelites to do? (To defeat the evil army.)
- Who did God use to tell Barak and the Israelites to attack the evil army? (Deborah)
- What happened because Deborah listened to God and allowed others to go first? (Israel was able to defeat the enemy.)
- Hand out a Cabin Mat to each camper. NOTE: There are different mats for first-second graders and third-fifth graders. Have campers write their name on the Cabin Mat.
- BIBLE SECTION | FIRST-SECOND GRADE: Allow campers to complete the maze leading Barak [ba-rock] to victory against the enemy.
- BIBLE SECTION | THIRD-FIFTH GRADE: Allow the campers to complete word puzzle to review the story.
SAY: “Deborah listened to God, trusted Him and let Barak go first by leading the Israelites in battle. Deborah was a leader because she trusted God and let others go first. What do we need to do if we want to be leaders who set the right example for others?” (Let others go first.)
- How did Deborah set a good example for us? (listened to God, went first, set an example for others)
- When is it hard for us go first by trusting God? (when we really want to do something else, when we are in a rush, when the other person has never let us go first)
- What can we do when its hard to let others go first? (Jesus was a leader who let others go first. Ask Jesus to help us be a leader who let’s others go first. Trust and obey God and let others go first.)
DO: LEADERSHIP SECTION | ALL GRADES: Give campers a set of four response stickers. Read the scenarios from the scenario card one at a time. Have campers place the correct response sticker in the LEADERSHIP SECTION of their cabin mat next to the scenario you describe. The response sticker shows someone letting others go first.
S’MORE, S’MOREOS PLEASE!
EKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL, PEN, CABIN MAT, S’MOREOS (4 PER KID), SPINNER
SAY: “Before we begin our last activity, let’s pray together.”
DO: Take prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup campers during the week. Encourage campers to share one or two prayer requests. Invite campers to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, thank You for sending your Son to set the perfect example for us! Help us to follow Jesus every day. Make us more like Him so we can be leaders who set the right example for others! Help us lead by letting others go first, everyday. We love You! In Jesus’ name, amen.”
SAY: “Who were the leaders in our Bible story today? (Deborah and Barak). Just like Deborah trusted God and let Barak go first, you can be a leader who let’s others go first.”
DO: In the SNACK SECTION of their Cabin Mat have the campers use a pen and draw in the faces for the following: Deborah, Barak, themselves, and someone they are going to let go first.
SAY: “One of the best things to do when you sit around a camp fire is to make s’mores! Today you’ll get the chance to earn some S’moreos and possibly even share some. In this camp snack game it will be important to be a leader and let others go first!”
- The goal of the activity is for campers to fill each of the four empty S’moreo spaces in the SNACK SECTION of their Cabin Mat. S’moreo spaces are the heads of the stick figures.
- Have campers sit in a circle with the spinner in the middle of the group.
- Allow campers to take turns spinning the spinner.
- If the spinner lands on the cookie portion, the camper must decide to either receive ONE S’moreo OR let another camper go first and receive ONE S’moreo for his/her cabin mat. If the camper chooses to let someone else receive ONE S’moreo they will receive TWO S’moreos to place on the S’moreo spaces on his/her cabin mat.
- If the spinner lands on the bite section, the camper does not get a choice to let someone go first and receives ONE S’moreo for his/her cabin mat.
- Continue until all campers have filled their cabin mat with four S’moreos each. Campers cannot receive more than four S’moreos. Once a camper has four S’moreos, he/she does not need to spin anymore or receive S’moreos from other campers.
DO: While campers are eating the S’moreo snack, point out the eKidz at Home section on their cabin mat. EXPLAIN campers can do this section at home to remember what we learned about being a leader. NOTE: All campers will take the cabin mat home. BEFORE HEADING TO LARGE GROUP COLLECT Cabin Mats from all campers and RETURN to each camper during dismissal.