WEEK 7: JULY 25/26
Setting an example for others by what you say and what you do.
I can be a leader who makes a difference!
MEMORY VERSE: 1 TIMOTHY 4:12 (NIV)
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.
Being A Servant Like Jesus
Philippians 2; John 5, 6, & 13
CABIN COLOR starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins.
Cabin Color is a time to welcome campers to your group and Camp Wannastay. You’ll introduce yourself and help campers apply the cabin color tattoo. Have campers sign in on the cabin roll call sheet. Campers can then hangout and get to know the other campers in their cabin with a fun activity.
CABIN SIGN-IN SHEET, CLIP BOARD, PEN, CABIN TATTOO, WIPES, UNO CARDS, I DOUBT IT UNO INSTRUCTIONS, PAST WEEKS’ UNO VARIATION INSTRUCTION CARDS
SAY: “My name is __________________ and I’m your eGroup Camp Counselor! This summer you’ll be a camper at Motion’s Camp Wannastay! Every weekend of Camp Wannastay you’ll be part of a camp cabin. Today we are the (insert cabin color) cabin! As a cabin we’ll hang out together during camp, hear stories from the Bible, talk about what it means to follow Jesus, and play games! But first you need to register for camp by signing the cabin roll call sheet and putting on your (insert cabin color) cabin tattoo!”
- As campers enter your cabin have them sign their first name on the cabin roll call sheet. Younger campers may need help signing in.
- Help campers apply a cabin tattoo using a wipe. Older campers can apply the cabin tattoos on their own OR you can assign one camper to help other campers apply their cabin tattoo. NOTE: Placement options for tattoos are hands or arms. The tattoo should be visible.
- After campers have applied their tattoo, help them form groups of six to eight to play I Doubt It.
- Use the I Doubt It game instruction card to teach the campers how to play I Doubt It.
1.Use the Time’s Up! UNO instruction card and play Time’s Up! UNO with the UNO cards.
2. Use the Spoons UNO instruction card and play Spoons with the UNO cards.
3. Use the UNO War game instruction card and play UNO War with the UNO cards.
4. Use the Go Fish game instruction card and play Go Fish with the UNO cards.
5. Use the Slap game instruction card and play Slap with the UNO cards.
6. Use the UNO game instruction card and play UNO with the UNO cards.
ONCE THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS (5:00, 9:30, 11:30)
Roll Call is a time for campers to get to know their eGroup Camp Counselor and each other. Participate with the campers and have fun. Make sure to introduce the Cabin Flag and Cabin Award.
CABIN FLAG, CABIN ROLL CALL SHEET, CABIN POINTS (ON BACK OF ROLL CALL SHEET), PEN
SAY: “The next thing we’ll do at Camp Wannastay is Roll Call! When you hear me call your name, stand up and say your favorite flavor of popsicle.”
DO: Use the camp roll call sheet to call on all campers. Each camper will sit back down after his/her name has been called.
SAY: “During our time at Camp Wannastay we are going to learn how to be leaders who set examples for others by what they say and what they do. We will learn following Jesus will make us great leaders because Jesus is the greatest leader ever! Today we have a chance to win the CABIN AWARD by leading the way in attending Camp Wannastay, reading our Bibles, and learning God’s word by saying the Camp Wannastay motto. If we have the most points at the end of today we win the CABIN AWARD and get to choose a prize from the BUG BIN! We’ll get points for each of those things and for winning the Large Group games. Let’s see how may points we earn so far today.”
DO: Use the cabin points sheet to record points for the following things:
- ATTENDANCE: One point for every camper in attendance.
- BIBLE: One point for every camper who brings a Bible.
- LARGE GROUP GAME: Five points for each game the cabin wins.
SAY: “To help our cabin be leaders in learning God’s word let’s practice 1 Timothy 4:12, our Camp Wannastay motto. This verse from the Bible helps us remember we can be leaders right now if we follow Jesus’ example in what we say and what we do. Our actions, words, and thoughts should show others we follow Jesus. Repeat the words and motions after me.”
Don’t let anyone look down on you (shake head “no”) because you are young, (pat head)
but set an example for the believers (hands out to sides, palms up) in speech, (cup hands around mouth)
in conduct, (pound fists on top of each other) in love, (make heart with hands)
in faith and in purity. (point to head) 1 Timothy (hold up pointer finger) 4:12 (hold up four fingers)
DO: Practice the verse a few times and then allow campers to say the Camp Wannastay motto. Use the cabin points sheet to record two points for each camper who can say the Camp Wannastay motto.
SAY: ”Today at Camp Wannastay we have our very own cabin flag! We’ll take it with us to Large Group to show our cabin spirit! I’ll chose someone from our group being a great leader to carry the flag to Large Group.”
During Orientation campers will learn how they can earn cabin keys during Camp Wannastay. Their first weekend attending Camp Wannastay, campers will receive a camp key chain to collect their cabin keys. At anytime during the series campers can turn in their cabin keys to redeem for prizes.
CAMP KEY CHAINS, CABIN KEYS (ORANGE AND GREEN), CAMP MOTTO TAGS
SAY: “Not only do we have a chance to win the Cabin Award together, but you can also earn your own prizes! Each time you attend Camp Wannastay and bring your Bible to camp you will earn cabin keys. These cabin keys will help you earn awesome prizes! The tag on your camp key chain has 1 Timothy 4:12, our Camp Wannastay motto, so you can practice during the week!”
- Give new campers (VIP and new to series) a camp key chain with a Camp Wannastay motto tag attached to collect cabin keys on.
- Award campers a cabin key for the following:
- ATTENDANCE= 1 green cabin key
- BRINGING A BIBLE= 1 orange cabin key
- Explain the prizes campers can earn by collecting cabin keys. Campers can turn in their cabin keys any weekend for the following:
- SNACK FROM THE CAMP CANTEEN= 4 cabin keys
- CAMP WANNASTAY T-SHIRT= 8 cabin keys
SAY: “It’s important to come to church each weekend to learn from the Bible so you can be a leader by following Jesus’ example! I’ll be watching to see who in our group is setting an example for others by what they say and do during Camp Wannastay. At the end of today I’ll nominate one of you to win the LEADER AWARD.”
TIP: Set expectations about the keys and key chains. Campers should not throw the key chains or twirl them around on their finger. Campers should wear the key chains on their wrists or ankles or keep them in their pockets.
TAKE CABIN FLAG TO LARGE GROUP. PLACE IN FLAG HOLDER ON STAGE.
TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
LEADERS SERVE OTHERS
BIBLE STORY AND DISCUSSION
BIBLE STORY CARD, CABIN MAT, PENS, MARKERS, CRAYONS
SAY: “During Cabin Time we are going to see what the Bible says about being a leader. Today we’ll hear how Jesus served others and how we can do the same. Our stories today come from two books in the Bible, Philippians and John. Now listen closely as I read some of the examples found in the Bible about how Jesus served others.”
- Use the Bible Story Card to read Philippians 2 and John 5, 6, and 13.
SAY: “Jesus loved us so much He was willing to do anything He could to help serve others to show His love. He was a leader because He thought of others before Himself. To help us learn about being a leader who serves others like Jesus, we are going to use our Cabin Mat.”
DO: Hand out a Cabin Mat to each camper. Have campers write their name on the Cabin Mat. Have campers find the BIBLE SECTION on their Cabin Mat. Use the questions below to interact with the Cabin Mat.
- When we serve others, how should we treat them? (We treat them like their needs are more important than our own. Philippians 2:3-4)
- Who is the most important person who ever lived? (Jesus!) Even though Jesus is the most important person ever, He treated others like they were more important and served them.
- Find Jesus on your Cabin Mat. Around Him are four squares. Fill the squares with the letters from the picture key which show how Jesus served others. (Square Answers: G- healing the sick, B- washing the disciple’s feet, D- feeding the 5,000 people, F- dying for our sins)
SAY: “As Jesus showed us, serving others is one way we can be a leader. When you put others before yourself you show them they are loved. Jesus values being able to put the needs of others above our own. Serving others is a great way to spread the love of Christ and to set an example for others as a leader.”
DO: Have campers find the LEADERSHIP SECTION on their Cabin Mat. Discuss the scenario in the first box with the campers. (a family in need of food) Discuss what they could do to serve others in that scenario and have them draw themselves in the second box. (serve food, donate food, help sort food) Discuss the outcome of serving and why serving others is important (they can eat and feel good, you share the love of Jesus with them). Have kids fill in the final box.
EKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL, PEN, CABIN MAT, GUMMY WORMS SNACK
SAY: “Before we begin our last activity, let’s pray together.”
DO: Take prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup campers during the week. Encourage campers to share one or two prayer requests. Invite campers to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, thank You for Your son Jesus. Thank you for the example He gave us for how to be a leader. Help us to be like Jesus and serve others in our own lives. We love You! In Jesus’ name, amen.”
SAY: “Today we learned how Jesus was a leader who served others. We can be leaders who serve others, too. This week is Love Week at our church! You will have MANY opportunities to serve others and show them the love of Jesus. Today’s snack is going to be a clue for a way you and your family can serve other kids your age.”
- Pass out the gummy worm snacks to each camper. Allow them to eat the snack as you discuss the following questions:
- What are these? (gummy worms)
- Raise your hand if you’ve ever heard the word “bookworm.” What does it mean? (Someone who likes to read a lot.)
- What is one of your favorite books? (Allow kids to respond)
- It’s nice to have books you enjoy reading, but did you know not all kids have books at home they can read? That’s why as a Motion team we are going to serve kids who don’t have books at home by collecting books!
SAY: “In the SNACK SECTION of your Cabin Mat find the words Promising Pages. Promising Pages is one of our church’s outreach partners. During Love Week you can SERVE by collecting books at home to donate to Promising Pages. Through Promising Pages you’ll give kids books to read at home. On your mat, draw the cover of a book at home you can donate. (Allow kids to draw a book cover on the Cabin Mat.) On your way out of Motion, you’ll get stickers and bag to collect books in. Put the stickers in the books and bring them to Motion next weekend! Promising Pages will give the books to kids who need them.” Read SNACK SECTION with campers to review instructions on collecting books.
DO: Point out the eKIDZ AT HOME SECTION on their cabin mat. EXPLAIN Love Week, opportunities to serve and Love Week Bands to collect when serving. NOTE: All campers will take the Cabin Mat home. BEFORE HEADING TO LARGE GROUP COLLECT Cabin Mats from all campers and RETURN to each camper during dismissal.