Setting an example for others by what you say and what you do.
I can be a leader!
MEMORY VERSE: 1 TIMOTHY 4:12 (NIV)
Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.
Matthew 4:18-22, 9:9, 10:1-3
CABIN COLOR starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins.
Cabin Color is a time to welcome campers to your group and Camp Wannastay. You’ll introduce yourself and help campers apply the cabin color tattoo. Have campers sign in on the cabin roll call sheet. Campers can then hangout and get to know the other campers in their cabin with a fun activity.
CABIN ROLL CALL SHEET, CLIP BOARD, PEN, CABIN TATTOO, WIPES, UNO CARDS, UNO GAME INSTRUCTION CARD
SAY: “My name is __________________ and I’m your eGroup Camp Counselor! This summer you’ll be a camper at Motion’s Camp Wannastay! Every weekend of Camp Wannastay you’ll be part of a camp cabin. Today we are the (insert cabin color) cabin! As a cabin we’ll hang out together during camp, hear stories from the Bible, talk about what it means to follow Jesus, and play games! But first you need to register for camp by signing the cabin roll call sheet and putting on your (insert cabin color) cabin tattoo!”
- As campers enter your cabin have them sign their first name on the cabin roll call sheet. Younger campers may need help signing in.
- Help campers apply a cabin tattoo using a wipe. Older campers can apply the cabin tattoos on their own OR you can assign one camper to help other campers apply their cabin tattoo. NOTE: Placement options for tattoos are hands or arms. The tattoo should be visible.
- After campers have applied their tattoo, help them form groups of six to eight to play UNO.
- Use the UNO game instruction card to teach the campers how to play UNO.
- Instead of shouting, “UNO,” when one card is remaining, have the campers shout, “ (insert cabin color) cabin!”
- TIP: Campers who know how to play the game of UNO can help teach the other campers the rules to the game.
ONCE THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS (5:00, 9:30, 11:30)
Roll Call is a time for campers to get to know their eGroup Camp Counselor and each other. Participate with the campers and have fun. Make sure to introduce the Cabin Flag and Cabin Award.
CABIN FLAG, CABIN ROLL CALL SHEET, CABIN POINTS (ON BACK OF ROLL CALL SHEET), PEN
SAY: “Today at Camp Wannastay we have our very own cabin flag! (Wave cabin flag.) We’ll take it with us to Large Group to show our cabin spirit! I’ll chose someone from our group being a great leader to carry the flag to Large Group. The next thing we’ll do at Camp Wannastay is Roll Call! When you hear me call your name, come stand under our cabin flag and share your favorite thing that is the color (insert cabin color) .”
DO: Use the camp roll call sheet to call on all campers. Each camper will sit back down after his/her name has been called.
SAY: “During our time at Camp Wannastay we are going to learn how to be leaders who set examples for others by what they say and what they do. We will learn following Jesus will make us great leaders because Jesus is the greatest leader ever! Today we have a chance to win the CABIN AWARD by leading the way in attending Camp Wannastay, reading our Bibles, and learning God’s word by saying the Camp Wannastay motto. If we have the most points at the end of today we win the CABIN AWARD and get to choose a prize from the BUG BIN! We’ll get points for each of those things and for winning the Large Group games. Let’s see how may points we earn so far today.”
DO: Use the cabin points sheet to record points for the following things:
- ATTENDANCE: One point for every camper in attendance.
- BIBLE: One point for every camper who brings a Bible.
- LARGE GROUP GAME: Five points for each game the cabin wins.
SAY: “To help our cabin be leaders in learning God’s word let’s practice 1 Timothy 4:12, our Camp Wannastay motto. This verse from the Bible helps us remember we can be leaders right now if we follow Jesus’ example in what we say and what we do. Our actions, words, and thoughts should show others we follow Jesus. Repeat the words and motions after me.”
Don’t let anyone look down on you (shake head “no”) because you are young, (pat head)
but set an example for the believers (hands out to sides, palms up) in speech, (cup hands around mouth)
in conduct, (pound fists on top of each other) in love, (make heart with hands)
in faith and in purity. (point to head) 1 Timothy (hold up pointer finger) 4:12 (hold up four fingers)
DO: Practice the verse a few times and then allow campers to say the Camp Wannastay motto. Use the cabin points sheet to record two points for each camper who can say the Camp Wannastay motto.
During Orientation campers will learn how they can earn cabin keys during Camp Wannastay. Their first weekend attending Camp Wannastay, campers will receive a camp key chain to collect their cabin keys. At anytime during the series campers can turn in their cabin keys to redeem for prizes.
CAMP KEY CHAINS, CABIN KEYS (ORANGE AND GREEN), CAMP MOTTO TAGS
SAY: “Not only do we have a chance to win the Cabin Award together, but you can also earn your own prizes! Each time you attend Camp Wannastay and bring your Bible to camp you will earn cabin keys. These cabin keys will help you earn awesome prizes! The tag on your camp key chain has 1 Timothy 4:12, our Camp Wannastay motto, so you can practice during the week!”
- Give campers a camp key chain with a Camp Wannastay motto tag attached to collect cabin keys on.
- Award campers a cabin key for the following:
- ATTENDANCE= 1 green cabin key
- BRINGING A BIBLE= 1 orange cabin key
- Explain the prizes campers can earn by collecting cabin keys. Campers can turn in their cabin keys any weekend for the following:
- SNACK FROM THE CAMP CANTEEN= 4 cabin keys
- CAMP WANNASTAY T-SHIRT= 8 cabin keys
SAY: “I know you will all be great leaders in this challenge by coming as many weekends as you can to Camp Wannastay and bringing your Bible with you, too! It’s important to come every weekend and learn from the Bible so you can learn to be a leader by following Jesus’ example!
I’ll be watching to see who in our group is setting an example for others by what they say and do during Camp Wannastay. At the end of today I’ll nominate one of you to win the LEADER AWARD.”
TIP: Set expectations about the keys and key chains. Campers should not throw the key chains or twirl them around on their finger. Campers should wear the key chains on their wrists or ankles or keep them in their pockets.
TAKE CABIN FLAG TO LARGE GROUP. PLACE IN FLAG HOLDER ON STAGE.
TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
I CAN BE A LEADER
BIBLE STORY AND DISCUSSION
BIBLES, CABIN MAT, PENS, CRAYONS (FIRST-SECOND GRADE)
SAY: “During Cabin Time we are going to see what the Bible says about being a leader. Today we’ll read about some leaders who decided to follow Jesus and lead others to learn about God. These important leaders were called the disciples. To help us learn about being a leader, everyone is going to get a Cabin Mat. While you find Matthew 4 in your Bible, I’ll hand those out to you.”
- Hand out a Cabin Mat to each camper. NOTE: There are different mats for first-second graders and third-fifth graders. Have campers write their name on the Cabin Mat.
- Have campers find Matthew 4 in their Bibles. NOTE: This may take time but it helps them learn skills for reading the Bible on their own.
- Read Matthew 4:18-22, Matthew 9:9, and Matthew 10:2-3 from the Bible. Campers can read along in their Bibles.
- BIBLE SECTION | FIRST-SECOND GRADE: As you are reading each set of verses, have campers use the crayons to color a disciple each time they hear the name of a disciple in the Bible story.
- BIBLE SECTION | THIRD-FIFTH GRADE: After reading the Bible story, allow campers to work together to unscramble the names of the twelve disciples using the word bank.
- How many disciples were there? (12)
- In the verses we read, what did Jesus say to the disciples? (“Follow me.”)
SAY: “Jesus told the disciples to follow Him. Jesus was the perfect leader and set the perfect example for His disciples. By following Jesus, the disciples learned how to be great leaders, too. What do we need to do if we want to be leaders who set the right example for others?” (Follow Jesus.)
- In what ways did Jesus set a good example for us? (always told the truth, helped people, forgave people, included others, did the right thing no matter what)
- What are ways we can follow the example Jesus set for us? (tell the truth, help others, forgive, do the right thing no matter what, be honest, show kindness to others)
- LEADER SECTION | FIRST-SECOND GRADE: Have campers draw themselves in the square and then color the letters for the word “Jesus.” Have each camper read the sentence with their name. Model for campers how this should read. (Example: Justin can be a leader who follows Jesus.)
- LEADER SECTION | THIRD-FIFTH GRADE: Have campers fill in the blanks to the sentences and share.
MORE AND MORE
EKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL, PEN, CABIN MAT, M&M’S (2 BAGS PER KID), FIRST-SECOND GRADE PICTURE GUIDES
SAY: “Before we begin our last activity, let’s pray together.”
DO: Take prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup campers during the week. Encourage campers to share one or two prayer requests. Invite campers to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, thank You for sending your Son to set the perfect example for us! Help us to follow Jesus every day. Make us more like Him so we can be leaders who set the right example for others! We love you! In Jesus’ name, amen.”
SAY: “Being a great leader means showing others how you follow Jesus by what you say and do. We can do things to be more and more like Jesus and to help us think about it we’re going to use these M&Ms to answer some questions.”
- Give each camper a bag of M&M’s. Have the campers take the M&M’s out of the bag and place them in the SNACK AREA of the cabin mat. They are NOT allowed to eat the M&M’s until after the activity.
- Campers will use the M&M’s to answer the following questions:
- How many disciples followed Jesus in our Bible story? (12- Have campers make the number 12 with M&M’s.)
- Jesus told the disciples to “Follow ___.” (me- Have campers make the word “me” with M&M’s.)
- Who is someone you think is a great leader? Encourage campers to share names. (parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, older siblings, teacher, coach) Make this person with your M&M’s. How are they like Jesus?
- Where can you be a leader? Make that place with your M&M’s. (school, home, sports team, park, church, neighborhood, camp)
- The picture you just made showed a place you can be a leader. At this place, what can you do to show others you follow Jesus by what you say and do? (speak kindly, be respectful, help others, say words to encourage others, be honest, be peaceful, follow rules, obey your parents, etc.) campers can make a symbol of these things with their M&M’s. Example: For speak kindly, campers can make a mouth with the M&M’s.
- TIP: Use the pictures provided to help younger campers form the pictures/words with the M&M’s.
- While campers eat the M&M’s point out the eKIDZ AT HOME SECTION on their cabin mat. EXPLAIN campers can do this section at home to remember what we learned about being a leader. NOTE: All campers will take their cabin mat home.