FIND3RS: The Mask of Monodios
Sticking with what you started even when it gets tough.
I can stick with it because we win in the end.
MEMORY VERSE: GALATIANS 6:9 (NIV)
Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Freedom for Peter
ENGAGE starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins.
Engage is a time to welcome kids to your eGroup with a fun activity to help them feel comfortable and get to know each other. Start by introducing yourself and welcoming kids to the eGroup. Ask them about their week and interests. Once you have five to six kids begin the Engage activity.
STICK WITH IT
STICKS (2 SETS PER eGROUP)
SAY: “This series we are learning about endurance. Endurance is sticking with what you start even when it gets tough. Let’s test our endurance with this week’s version of Stick With It!
- In this version of Stick With It kids must choose the correct color spot to avoid game challenges.
- Choose one kid to be “the stickler” and sit in the middle of the eGroup area.
- Place the pile of sticks in front of him/her.
- Designate five color spots in your eGroup space. (orange, blue, green, red, purple)
- Have “the stickler” close his/her eyes and count to 10.
- While “the stickler” is counting the other kids will go to one of the color areas.
- Make sure kids are walking, not running to the color area they choose.
- When “the stickler” finishes counting he/she will reach down, and without looking, pick a stick from the pile.
- The kids in the color spot of the stick chosen must come to the center of the eGroup area and do one of the following challenges:
- 10 jumping jacks, 10 squats, 10 lunges, 5 push ups, stand on your tip toes for 10 seconds
- These kids can go back to playing once their challenge is complete.
- Continue playing as time allows.
- Choose different kids to be “the stickler” after a few rounds.
ONCE THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS (5:00, 9:30, 11:30)
Connect is a time for kids to connect with their eGroup leader. Participate and have fun with your eGroup. Learn the names of your eGroup kids and try to learn something about each one. Let them learn about you!
SAY: “Welcome to eGroup! My name is _______ and I’m your eGroup leader! As an eGroup we will hang out together during Motion, hear stories from the Bible, play games, and learn what it means to live for Jesus!
We are in the sixth and final week of our FIND3RS series! Can anyone remind the group what happened to our favorite mystery-solving team last week? (Allow kids to respond.) We’ll find out how happens in today’s finale in just a little bit, but for now, let’s take a few minutes to get to know each other.”
DO: Have kids play one more round of Stick With It from the Engage Activity with the eGroup Leader being “the stickler.” Once kids are in their color spots, instead of having them do a challenge, have them sit down, introduce themselves and answer this question,”What is your favorite sport or recess game/activity?” Choose a stick. The group of the color you choose must share the answer to the question with the whole eGroup.
AS TIME ALLOWS, DO: Ask a question and encourage kids to respond. The goal of these questions is to get kids thinking about what it means to “win.”
- Why do you like the sport/activity shared with us?
- What’s your favorite sports team?
- Was there a time you didn’t think your team would win, but they pulled through after all?
SAY: “It’s exciting to see your favorite team win. Sometimes their victory is even more exciting when it doesn’t look like there’s any way they could pull it off! When we get back from Large Group, we are going to talk about the most exciting kind of win.”
TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
OVERVIEW: During FIND3RS, kids will collect trading cards! Kids will earn three cards for attending Motion each week and earn prizes for collecting different combinations of cards. Kids will have time to trade cards during Large Group. The will be a Robber Rule in eGroup. If you see cards out during eGroup, you get to collect from the child who has their cards out at the wrong time to add to your collection.
RULES CARD, TRADING CARD RELEASE POSTER, TRADING CARD PRIZE POSTER, FIND3RS ARTIFACT FILE, SHARPIE, MEMORY VERSE CARD, STICKERS
SAY: “With a Finders series brings a whole new set of Finders trading cards! Today you’ll receive a pack of three cards just for attending Motion. You’ll get a pack on the way back to Large Group! After that, you’ll have one more chance to trade to earn your prize!”
- Go over trading card rules and give VIP and kids new to series a rules card.
- Go over card release dates using the Trading Card Release Poster.
- Go over prizes for different combinations using the Trading Card Prize Poster. EXPLAIN kids can only get all of the prizes if they collect ALL of the cards. Otherwise they can only choose one prize based on the combination of cards they have collected.
- Tell the kids they’ll have time to trade in Large Group.
- Explain the ROBBER RULE. Cards can only be out during Bring It! and card trading time in Large Group. If you see them out an any other time, you get to take a card from their collection.
SAY: “All great finders collect their findings and discoveries. This series, you’ve collected your cards and findings about endurance during eGroup using this FIND3RS Artifact File! Who brought theirs back? (Celebrate the kids who brought them back.) If it’s your first weekend during the series, I’ll give you a FIND3RS Artifact File right now!”
DO: Pass out FIND3RS Artifact Files to VIP kids and kids new to the series. Have kids write their names on their FIND3RS Artifact File with a sharpie.
SAY: “If you say the series memory verse TODAY, you will earn the memory verse prize, your very mini flying drone! Our verse this series is Galatians 6:9. It reminds us to not give up when things get tough, because the hard work is worth it when we accomplish our goal! Let’s practice!” Have kids repeat the words and motions after you. Then give VIP kids/ kids new to series a memory verse card. After practicing, award kids who say the memory verse with a sticker to redeem their prize at dismissal.
Let us not become weary (wave pointer finger back and forth) in doing good, (thumbs up)
for at the proper time (point to wrist) we will reap a harvest (hold arms out)
if we do not give up. (point up) Galatians 6:9 (hold up six, then nine fingers)
PETER’S MISSION | FREEDOM FOR PETER
ACTS 12:1-19 | ACTS 12:6-12
BIBLES, eGROUP TIME LINE, BIBLE STORY ARTIFACT (“PETER GOES FREE”), FIND3RS ARTIFACT FILE
SAY: “This week, The Finders endurance paid off when they cracked the case of the missing mask! Even when things were tough, they stuck with it! It’s a lot easier to stick with something – even when it gets tough – when you remember you win in the end.
For the past two weeks we’ve read abut Peter. (Review first three spots on timeline.) Peter was put in jail and was about to go to trial and probably be put to death – just for being faithful and believing in Jesus! His friends supported him by praying. Let’s open up our Bibles to Acts 12:6 and see what happens next in this story.”
- Help kids find Acts 12:6 in their Bibles.
- NOTE: This may take time but it helps kids learn important skills for reading the Bible on their own.
- Read Acts 12:6-12 from the Bible. Kids can read along in their Bibles.
SAY: “In today’s story, an angel came to Peter in prison. Peter was freed and returned safely to his friends. (Point to angel on timeline.) When Peter knocked at the door his friends were amazed to see him. But, whether he had stayed in jail or was freed, Peter knew this was only a small victory. Peter knew, not matter what, he would win in the end because of his faith in Jesus. Peter could endure any problem because he remembered Jesus’ words. Let me read them to you. (Read John 14:1-4.)
No matter what Peter went through he could stick with it, because he knew he’d be with Jesus in the end. Jesus was preparing a place for Peter in Heaven. Jesus makes this promise to us, too! Jesus wins in the end because He died on the cross to defeat sin. If we have faith in Jesus and believe in what He did, we win in the end, too!” (Point to crown on timeline.)
DO: Put a Bible story artifact sticker on the eGroup timeline in the week 6 spot.
SAY: “This series we have been collecting artifacts to help us remember how we can stick with it even when things get tough. Our Bible story artifact says ‘PETER GOES FREE’. What does this artifact remind us about endurance? (Allow kids to respond.) Peter had a small victory when he was freed from prison, but knew he could stick with it because Jesus wins in the end. Everyone, get our your FIND3RS Artifact File so you can collect your Bible story artifact. Put the artifact on your FIND3RS Artifact File.”
DO: Give kids the Bible story artifact sticker to put on the outside of their FIND3RS Artifact File. If kids forgot their FIND3RS Artifact File have them put the artifact sticker on their shirt.
WE WIN IN THE END
eGROUP TIMELINE, GAME PIECE, eGROUP LEADER GAME SCENARIO CARD, ENDURANCE ARTIFACT (TROPHY), FIND3RS ARTIFACT FILE, eKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL
SAY: “Endurance is sticking with what you started even when it gets tough. You can stick with it because you know you win in the end. Remember, no matter what you are going through or how things turn out, have endurance and stick with it. You win in the end because Jesus has already won!”
- Have kids sit in a circle. Place the eGroup timeline in the middle of the group.
- Explain that as an eGroup we want to get from one end of the timeline to the other by following the instructions on the eGroup Leader game scenario card.
- Place the eGroup game piece on the first event on the timeline (Paul and Peter’s mission).
- One at a time, read a scenario from the game scenario card.
- For each scenario have the eGroup discuss whether or not the kid in the scenario is sticking with it no matter what. Then follow the directions for how to move the game piece on the timeline.
- NOTE: This game will be impossible to win until the end. After reading the last scenario from the game scenario card and moving to the end of the timeline (“Jesus wins in the end.”), ask the following discussion question:
- Why should we stick with it even when we aren’t winning? We stick with it because Jesus asks us to, so we do it. He died for us so we can be in Heaven with Him one day. We can stick with what we start even when it’s tough.
SAY: “Great discussion! Here’s your endurance artifact! Let this remind you to stick with what you’ve started no matter how tough it gets, because you know with Jesus, you win in the end!”
DO: Give kids the endurance artifact sticker to put on the outside of their FIND3RS Artifact File. If kids forgot their FIND3RS Artifact File have them put the artifact sticker on their shirt.
DO: Take prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup kids during the week. Encourage kids to share one or two prayer requests. Invite kids to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, thank You for everything You’ve taught us about endurance. We can stick with what we start, no matter what happens because we know we win in the end and will spend eternity with You in Heaven. We love You! In Jesus’ name, amen.”