FIND3RS: The Mask of Monodios
Sticking with what you started even when it gets tough.
I can stick with it if I have the right people around me..
MEMORY VERSE: GALATIANS 6:9 (NIV)
Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Friends of Peter
ENGAGE starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins.
Engage is a time to welcome kids to your eGroup with a fun activity to help them feel comfortable and get to know each other. Start by introducing yourself and welcoming kids to the eGroup. Ask them about their week and interests. Once you have five to six kids begin the Engage activity.
STICK WITH IT
STICKS (2 SETS PER eGROUP)
SAY: “This series we are learning about endurance. Endurance is sticking with what you start even when it gets tough. Let’s test our endurance with this week’s version of Stick With It!
- The object of each round is to be the first to collect three sticks of the same color then put your finger on your nose. Kids can stay in the game by not being the last person to have their finger on their nose at the end of each round.
- Have kids play in groups of no larger than eight. Use second set of sticks to start a second game if there are more than eight kids in your eGroup.
- Have kids sit in a circle.
- Give each kid three sticks. Don’t give kids all the same color of sticks. Kids can only have three sticks in their hand during the game.
- Place the remaining sticks next to one kid who will draw from the pile
- Kids will choose a stick from their hand to pass to the kid on their left.
- Kids will take the stick passed to them and decide if they want to keep it.
- If they want to keep the stick then they must pass on a different stick from their hand to the kid on their left.
- When a kid has three sticks of the same color, they must put their finger on their nose.
- When the other kids see this kid with a finger on their nose, they will also put their finger on their nose regardless if they have three sticks of the same color or not.
- The last kid to put a finger on their nose is out.
- Collect the sticks and redistribute for another round of the game.
- Continue playing until only two kids remain. They are the winners!
ONCE THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS (5:00, 9:30, 11:30)
Connect is a time for kids to connect with their eGroup leader. Participate and have fun with your eGroup. Learn the names of your eGroup kids and try to learn something about each one. Let them learn about you!
SAY: “Welcome to eGroup! My name is _______ and I’m your eGroup leader! As an eGroup we will hang out together during Motion, hear stories from the Bible, play games, and learn what it means to live for Jesus!
This is the fifth weekend of FIND3RS. Through the Finders mystery we’ve been learning a lot about endurance, sticking with what you started even when it gets tough. Before we talk more about the series and what we’ll learn today, let’s get to know each other.”
- Give each kid a stick.
- Each kid will answer the questions below based on the color of their stick.
- The questions are all about friends, family and the people you surround yourself with.
- Kids with a PUPRLE stick: Do you have any brothers or sisters? Are they older or younger?
- Kids with a RED stick: Who is your best friend? What is your favorite thing about your best friend?
- Kids with a BLUE stick: What is something someone in your family does well?
- Kids with a GREEN stick: What did you do (or where did you go) the last time you hung out with your best friend?
- Kids with a ORANGE stick: What is a TV show or movie you watch with your best friend?
SAY: “Thank you for telling me about your family and friends. Those who we are around you the most have the biggest impact on your lives. It’s important to have the right people around you, those who will encourage and support you. Today you will learn, I can stick with it if I have the right people around me.”
TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
OVERVIEW: During FIND3RS, kids will collect trading cards! Kids will earn three cards for attending Motion each week and earn prizes for collecting different combinations of cards. Kids will have time to trade cards during Large Group. The will be a Robber Rule in eGroup. If you see cards out during eGroup, you get to collect from the child who has their cards out at the wrong time to add to your collection.
RULES CARD, TRADING CARD RELEASE POSTER, TRADING CARD PRIZE POSTER, FIND3RS ARTIFACT FILE, SHARPIE, MEMORY VERSE CARD
SAY: “With a new Finders series brings a whole new set of Finders trading cards! You’ll receive three cards each week just for attending Motion. You’ll get today’s pack on the way back to Large Group!”
- Go over trading card rules and give VIP and kids new to series a rules card.
- Go over card release dates using the Trading Card Release Poster.
- Go over prizes for different combinations using the Trading Card Prize Poster. EXPLAIN kids can only get all of the prizes if they collect ALL of the cards. Otherwise they can only choose one prize based on the combination of cards they have collected.
- Tell the kids they’ll have time to trade in Large Group and to bring back their cards every week so they can collect and trade.
- Explain the ROBBER RULE. Cards can only be out during Bring It! and card trading time in Large Group. If you see them out an any other time, you get to take a card from their collection.
SAY: “All great finders collect their findings and discoveries. This series, you’ll collect your cards and findings about endurance during eGroup using this FIND3RS Artifact File! Who brought theirs back? (Celebrate the kids who brought them back.) If it’s your first weekend during the series, I’ll give you a FIND3RS Artifact File right now! Make sure to bring your FIND3RS Artifact File back to Motion every weekend of the series.”
DO: Pass out FIND3RS Artifact Files to VIP kids and kids new to series. Have kids write their names on their FIND3RS Artifact File with a sharpie.
SAY: “I have one more Bring It! prize to tell you about. If you say the series memory verse NEXT WEEKEND, June 6/7, you will earn the memory verse prize. Our verse this series is Galatians 6:9. It reminds us to not give up when things get tough, because the hard work is worth it when we accomplish our goal! Let’s practice!” Have kids repeat the words and motions after you. Then give VIP kids and kids new to series a memory verse card to practice at home.
Let us not become weary (wave pointer finger back and forth) in doing good, (thumbs up)
for at the proper time (point to wrist) we will reap a harvest (hold arms out)
if we do not give up. (point up) Galatians 6:9 (hold up six, then nine fingers)
PETER’S MISSION | FRIENDS OF PETER
ACTS 12:1-5 | ACTS 12:5
BIBLES, eGROUP TIME LINE, BIBLE STORY ARTIFACT (PRAYING HANDS), FIND3RS ARTIFACT FILE
SAY: “This week, The Finders were back together and not a moment too soon! They were able to work together and find lots of clues. Because they decided to stick together, they are closer to finding out what happened to the mask of Monodios (moh-noh-dee-os). It’s easier to stick with what you’ve started when you have the right people around you.
Peter, who we talked about last week, went through many challenges. (Point out Peter Was Arrested on the eGroup timeline.) Peter was put in jail and was headed to trial where he’d probably be put to death just for telling people about Jesus! But one thing that helped him endure was having the right people around him. Let’s open up our Bibles to Acts 12:5 and read about Peter’s friends!”
- Help kids find Acts 12:5 in their Bibles.
- NOTE: This may take time but it helps kids learn important skills for reading the Bible on their own.
- Read Acts 12:5 from the Bible. Kids can read along in their Bibles.
SAY: “Peter’s friends, the people in the church, couldn’t get him out of jail, but they prayed for him! Peter had the right people supporting and encouraging him.”
DO: Put a Bible story artifact sticker on the eGroup timeline in the week 5 spot.
SAY: “This series we are collecting artifacts to help us remember how we can stick with it even when things get tough. Our Bible story artifact says ‘Peter’s Friends Prayed.’ What does this artifact remind us about endurance? (Allow kids to respond.)
Peter stuck with his mission and it helped to have the right people in his life praying for him in this toughest times. Everyone, get our your FIND3RS Artifact File so you can collect your Bible story artifact. Put the artifact on the outside of your FIND3RS Artifact File.”
DO: Give kids the Bible story artifact sticker to put on the outside of their FIND3RS Artifact File. If kids forgot to bring back their FIND3RS Artifact File have them put the artifact sticker on their shirt.
THE RIGHT PEOPLE
PORTRAIT TEMPLATE, PENS, ENDURANCE ARTIFACT (PEOPLE AROUND “YOU”), FIND3RS ARTIFACT FILE
SAY: “Endurance is sticking with what you started even when it gets tough. Having the right people around you is one way to stick with what you’ve started. Today we’ve learned from two examples of sticking with what you’ve started by having the right people around you. The Finders worked best when they’re all together as a team. And Peter was able to keep telling people about Jesus because he had the right people still praying for him.”
- Give kids a portrait template and a pen.
- Inside of the template have kids draw a someone from their life who supports and encourages them. This can be family members, friends, teachers, role models, extended family, etc.
- Have the kids write on the back of the template ways this person encourages and supports them. These will be clues for the rest of the group.
- Once kids have finished have them share one at a time. Based on the clues given, kids will try to guess the person drawn.
EXTENSION FOR OLDER KIDS:
- How has the person you drew helped you to stick with a tough situation?
- Why is it important to have the right people in your life?
SAY: “It seems like you guys have some really cool, talented, and nice people in your life! These sound like good people to keep around because you can stick with it if you have the right people around you.
Here’s your endurance artifact! This artifact can remind you when things get tough, having the right people around you can help you stick with it!”’
DO: Give kids the endurance artifact sticker. Have them place it on the outside of their FIND3RS Artifact File. If kids forgot to bring back their FIND3RS Artifact File have them put the artifact sticker on their shirt.
PRAYER AND GAME ACTIVITY
eKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL, PUZZLE PICTURES, FINDERS PUZZLE SETS (2 PUZZLES- 1 OF EACH PER eGROUP), GAME ARTIFACT (“STICK” WITH IT), FIND3RS ARTIFACT FILE
SAY: “Before we begin our last activity, let’s pray together.”
DO: Take prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup kids during the week. Encourage kids to share one or two prayer requests. Invite kids to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, thank You for everything You have taught us about endurance. Thank You for surrounding us with friends, family, teachers, and leaders who will help us stick with it even when things get tough. We love You! In Jesus’ name, amen.”
SAY: “Today we’ve talked a lot about sticking with what we start in tough times by having the right people around to support and encourage us. For today’s game, you’re going to solve a FIND3RS puzzle. Everyone will have a piece of a puzzle, but the pieces are not all for the same puzzle. (Show the different puzzles.) You’ve got to get the right people around you and be the first group to put the puzzle together for your group to win!”
- Give each kid a piece of a puzzle. If you have a small eGroup give each kid a few puzzle pieces but make sure they are to the same puzzle.
- Kids will race to find the right people to complete the FIND3RS puzzle.
- Kids must walk and not run.
- The first group to get the right people around them and put their puzzle together correctly wins!
- Allow the other groups to finish the puzzle and congratulate all groups for sticking with it!
- Mix up the puzzle pieces and play again if time allows.
SAY: “Great job sticking with it! Here’s your game artifact! Remember to stick with it what you start even when it gets tough!”
DO: Give kids a game artifact sticker to put on the outside of their FIND3RS Artifact File. If kids forgot to bring back their FIND3RS Artifact File have them put the artifact sticker on their shirt.