WEEK 3: AUGUST 15/16
Giving thanks no matter what happens.
Celebrate What God Has Done
MEMORY VERSE: PSALM 107:1 (NIV)
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever.
Stating a Celebration
ENGAGE starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins.
Engage is a time to welcome kids to your eGroup with a fun activity to help them feel comfortable and get to know each other. Start by introducing yourself and welcoming kids to the eGroup. Ask them about their week and interests. Once you have five to six kids begin the Engage activity.
OVERBOARD GAME CONTENTS: 48 PLAY PIECES (4 COLORS/12 OF EACH COLOR), OVERBOARD TOWER, GAME BASE, PLAYING DIE, INSTRUCTION CARD
- Place the Overboard game in the center of your eGroup area.
- Split your eGroup into four teams. As new kids come in to eGroup assign them to a team. Teams will have about 2-3 kids.
- For eGroups larger than 12 use the second Overboard game set to start another game.
- Choose one of the three variations of Overboard for your eGroup to play.
- Use the instruction card to play the variation selected.
- Play again if time allows.
ONCE THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS (5:00, 9:30, 11:30)
Connect is a time for kids to connect with their eGroup leader. Participate and have fun with your eGroup. Learn the names of your eGroup kids and try to learn something about each one. Let them learn about you!
OVERBOARD GAME AND PIECES
SAY: “Welcome to eGroup! My name is _______ and I’m your eGroup leader! As an eGroup we will hang out together during Motion, hear stories from the Bible, play games, and learn what it means to live for Jesus! This series we are learning about gratitude. Gratitude means being thankful all the time, whether we are having a good day or if we are having a bad day. Before we learn more about how to have an attitude of gratitude, let’s get to know each other. We’re going to work together as an eGroup team to keep this board balanced.”
- The goal of Balancing Act is to work together as an eGroup team to add game pieces to the game board keeping the board balanced so no pieces fall off.
- Have kids sit in a circle around the game board.
- Give each kid three game pieces.
- Have each kid share his/her name and three things he/she likes to do for fun (hobbies, sports, etc). After each kid shares have him/her add the games pieces to the game board.
- The eGroup should work together and help each other decide where to put the game pieces to keep the game board balanced.
- If any game pieces fall off decide where to add them back to the game board and continue.
SAY: “Great job working together to keep the board balanced! Next week we’ll see if we can each add four pieces! During Overboard we’ll learn about gratitude. The Bible tells us we can show gratitude to God. Psalm 107:1 says to give thanks to God because He is good to us and will always love us! This series let’s learn this verse to remind us how important it is to show gratitude to God.” Practice memory verse with kids.
Give thanks to the Lord, (allow kids to repeat)
for He is good; (allow kids to repeat)
His love endures forever. (allow kids to repeat)
Psalm 107:1 (allow kids to repeat)
STOP: TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
OVERVIEW: During Overboard, kids will get an Ollie’s Milkshake Rewards card to earn reward points for bringing their Bible and reciting the series memory verse. Five points on the Ollie’s Milkshake Rewards card earns kids a bow tie milkshake straw. Ten points on the Ollie’s Milkshake Rewards card earns kids a milkshake gift card. Prizes can be redeemed the weekends of August 29/30 and September 5/6.
OLLIE’S MILKSHAKE REWARD CARDS, REWARD POINT PUNCH, OVERBOARD PRIZE POSTER
SAY: “If you remember Ollie from Selfie Switch you might remember he worked in a diner and one of his favorite snacks is a refreshing, delicious milkshake. That’s why during Overboard, Ollie wants you to have the chance to earn a milkshake by bringing your Bible to Motion and learning the series memory verse.”
- Show kids the Ollie’s Milkshake Reward card.
- Explain how to earn reward point punches on the Ollie’s Milkshake Reward card.
- Bring your Bible = 2 reward points
- Say the Memory Verse = 1 reward point
- Review prizes using the Overboard prize poster.
- 5 reward points = Nigel’s Bow Tie Milkshake Straw
- 10 reward points = Ollie’s Milkshake
- Hand out an Ollie’s Milkshake Reward card to each kid.
- Point out memory verse on back of card and have kids write their name on the card.
- Use the reward point punch to award reward points to kids who brought a Bible and recited the memory verse.
- Encourage kids to keep the Ollie’s Milkshake Reward card in their Bible so they remember to bring their Bible and reward card to Motion every week.
SAY: “Come to Motion every weekend to earn milkshake reward points during Overboard! Keep your Ollie’s Milkshake Reward card in your Bible so you remember to bring your Bible and reward card back every week to Motion! You can redeem your prizes on August 29/30 or September 5/6.”
STAGING A CELEBRATION
BIBLE STORY WAKEBOARD (2), BIBLE STORYBOARD CARDS (2 SETS), LEADER SHEET, BIBLES
SAY: “It’s time for the Ollie Update! In today’s episode Ollie learned a lot from Gage in such a short amount of time.
- Did you see Ollie showing gratitude? (Allow kids to respond.)
- Is he taking all the credit for his improvement? (Allow kids to respond.)
- Who gave Ollie his abilities and brought him to the lake where he met Gage? (Allow kids to respond. Answer: God)
Nigel reminded Ollie to take time to celebrate what God has helped you do already. Showing gratitude means celebrating what God has done for you. Today we’ll read about a leader and group of people who celebrated what God did for them.”
- For eGroups larger than 12 split the kids into two groups for this activity. Give each group a Bible story wakeboard and set of Bible storyboard cards.
- Randomly lay out the Bible storyboard cards on the Bible story wakeboard.
- Have kids put the Bible storyboard cards in the order they think they go in before reading the Bible story. Then read the Bible story from the leader sheet.
- Have kids review the order of the Bible storyboard cards and rearrange as necessary so they are in the correct order.
- The people in our Bible story were thankful to God for all He had done for them. Why did they have joy? (God had done so much for them by bringing them back to their home in Jerusalem.)
- How did they celebrate? (praised God, worshiped God, ate food)
- How can we celebrate what God has done for us? (worship Him, pray and thank Him for all He has done, tell others about His goodness)
BIBLE WAKEBOARD, 720 TOP (1 PER eGROUP)
SAY: “A wakeboarder learns lots of moves and tricks to be good at the sport of wake boarding. It takes a lot of practice and getting back up on the board, no matter what. Each week we’ll learn wake boarding tricks and tips to help us remember to show gratitude.
Today’s wake boarding move is called the 720. For this move the wakeboarder uses the wake to jump in the air. While in the air the wakeboarder spins 720 degrees. That’s spinning around two times before landing back on the water. Learning to do a 720 is extremely hard. When a wakeboarder finally lands this trick they celebrate! When good things or difficult things happen to us, we can celebrate like a wakeboarder doing a 720! We can express our gratitude by celebrating what God has done for us.”
- Have kids spread out in the eGroup area.
- Show them how to do spin like a 720 wake boarding jump. (Have kids spin around two times.)
- Let kids practice the move a few times.
- Have kids sit down in a circle.
- Place the Bible wakeboard in the middle of the circle.
- Have kids take turns spinning the 720 top and answer questions based on where the 720 top lands.
720 TOP LANDS ON THE WAKEBOARD
What has God done for you? (Possible Answers: Sent Jesus so we can be forgiven for the wrong things we do. Gave us a family, friends, home, clothes, food, and talents/abilities. Love us, Helps us to not be scared.)
720 TOP LANDS ON THE DOCK
This week, no matter what kind of day you are having, how can you celebrate what God has done for you? (Show gratitude by praising God through worship. Pray and thank God for has He has done, is doing and will do in your life. Smile. Say thank you. Write a card. Remember God is faithful and His love is with us forever!)
SAY: “God has done so much for us and will always do so much for us. It reminds me of our memory verse, ‘He is good; His love endures forever!’ Most of all He sent Jesus to Earth to die so we can be forgiven for all of the wrong things we do. That is always something we should celebrate and be thankful for. We can show gratitude by celebrating what God has done for us everyday!”
CELEBRATE WHAT GOD HAS DONE
PRAYER AND GAME ACTIVITY
eKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL, PEN, GRATITUDE CARDS, TIMER, BIBLE WAKEBOARD, 720 TOP (1 PER eGROUP)
SAY: “Before we begin our last activity, let’s pray together.”
DO: Take prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup kids during the week. Encourage kids to share one or two prayer requests. Invite kids to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, thank You for all You do for us. Help us remember to always celebrate what You have done and show You gratitude. We love You! In Jesus’ name, amen.”
SAY: “Today we saw some of the awesome wake boarding moves Gage taught Ollie. We are going to have a competition of our own to see who can show the best gratitude moves!”
- The goal of this game is to get your team to guess the gratitude move first.
- Split your eGroup into two teams.
- Have each team send up one kid. Make sure it is a different kid each round so everyone can have a turn.
- For each round:
- The kids chosen from each team will look at the gratitude moves card. The gratitude moves card will show something we can show gratitude to God for.
- Once you start the timer the kids will show their gratitude moves by acting out what is on the gratitude moves card.
- Once a team guesses correctly they must all stand up and do a 720 gratitude move (spin in a circle two times) and sit back down.
- The first team to guess correctly and complete the 720 gratitude move before time runs out gets to spin the 720 top on the Bible wakeboard.
- If the 720 top lands on the dock the team gets one point.
- If the 720 top lands on the wakeboard the team gets two points.
- If the 720 top doesn’t land on either have them spin again.
- Repeat for each gratitude moves card.
- The team with the most points at the end of the game wins.