THE FINDERS: GOLDEN CHRISTMAS
Week 3: December 24
eGROUP LESSON PLAN
Responding to the gifts we’ve been given
How we reACT to the gift of promises.
MEMORY VERSE: 1 JOHN 4:10 (NIRV)
Here is what love is. It is not that we loved God. It is that he
loved us and sent his Son to give his life to pay for our sins.
Luke 2:1-20 and Matthew 2:1-12
ENGAGE starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins. (4:40, 9:10, 11:10)
Engage is a time to welcome kids to your eGroup with a fun activity to help them feel comfortable and get to know each other. During Engage, kids can practice the memory verse or play Spot It: “Find It First” Holiday Edition.
DO: Start by introducing yourself and welcoming kids to the eGroup. Ask them about their week and interests. Once you have five to six kids begin the Engage activity.
During The Finders: Golden Christmas Motion kids have been learning 1 John 4:10 (NIRV). Today is the last opportunity for kids to recite this verse to earn a fool’s gold sticker for their The Game game board.
BIBLE PENS, GOLD STICKY NOTES, MEMORY VERSE CARDS
FOR VIPs AND KIDS NEW TO THE SERIES, SAY:
“At Christmas, we give each other gifts to celebrate the gift God gave us – Jesus. When you get a gift for Christmas or even your birthday, you don’t put it back in the box and forget about it – you use it! During The Finders: Golden Christmas, we’re going to learn how we can use the gifts God has given us and reACT: APPRECIATE the gift, CHOOSE what to do next, and TAKE the next step.
Doing what the Bible says is one way we reACT to God loving us and sending us the gift of Jesus. We can do that by reading the Bible and learning what it says. We’ve been learning 1 John 4:10, our series memory verse, to remember why God gave us Jesus.”
Help kids look up the memory verse in their Bibles. Encourage kids to use the Bible pens to highlight the verse in their Bible and a gold sticky note to mark the spot in their Bible. Give a memory verse card to kids who did not bring their Bibles.
Encourage kids to practice the verse with each other. Kids who can recite the verse by themselves will earn a fool’s gold sticker.
ALL OTHER KIDS, DO:
Encourage kids to practice the verse with each other. You can use the following methods:
REPEAT AFTER ME: Have kids repeat the words after you.
PAIR UP: After practicing the verse as a group, have kids pair up to practice the verse.
MOTIONS: Come up with motions to help remember the verse as a group. Practice it together.
DROP A BEAT: Put the verse to a beat as you say it together. You can do this by clapping, patting your legs, stomping, or any combination to make a beat.
SPOT IT: “FIND IT FIRST” HOLIDAY EDITION
SPOT IT CARDS (1 FOOL’S GOLD CARD IN EACH DECK)
FIND IT FIRST – VERSION 1 (TWO TO EIGHT PLAYERS)
- OBJECT: The object of the game is to collect the most cards.
- SET UP: Have players sit in a circle. Shuffle the cards and deal one card face-up to each player. Place the remaining cards face down in the center of the group to form a draw pile.
- Flip over the top card from the draw pile. Players try to be the first to find the ONE matching symbol appearing on both the center card and on their own card. The first player to do so should call it out (ex: “Lion!”) then take the center card and place it face-up on top of their flipped card, building a personal pile.
- The first player to find the fool’s gold card must call out, “FOOL’S GOLD.” The first player to call it out gets to take a card from any player they choose.
- Players will continue to use the top card of their personal pile to find a match with the revealed draw pile card. Repeat this process each time a new draw pile card is revealed. Play continues until no cards remain in the draw pile. The player with the most cards is the winner!
FIND IT FIRST – VERSION 2 (TWO TO EIGHT PLAYERS)
- OBJECT: The object of the game is to have the least amount of cards after all rounds have been played. This is accomplished by getting rid of cards each round.
- SET UP: Have players sit in a circle. Shuffle the cards and deal one card face down to each player. Set aside the remaining cards to use later. Decide how many rounds to play (between 4 and 8).
- At the same time, players turn over the card in their hand, holding the card flat and steady in their palm so everyone can see. If players find a match between their card and another player’s card, he/she must call it out. (example: “Banana!”)
- The player to call it out first places their card on top of matching player’s card and is now out for the round. (NOTE: Players with more than one card only look at their top card.) The round continues until one player ends up with all of the cards. The player loses the round and places the cards in a personal pile.
- The first player to find the fool’s gold card must call out “FOOL’S GOLD.” The first player to call it out will give away their card to any player and is out for that round OR if they have a personal pile from losing a previous round they can give away their pile to any player.
- Play as many rounds as decided at the beginning. Each round the losing player keeps the cards.
- After all rounds have been played the player with the least amount of cards wins!
BEGIN 5 MINUTES AFTER THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS
MINING FOR GOLD | LUKE 2:1-20 & MATTHEW 2:1-12
BIBLE STORY ACTIVITY: Kids will hear the Christmas story and mine the Bible for information to learn how to reACT to the gifts God has given us.
BIBLES, PENS, BIBLE STORY CARD (BACK OF MEMORY VERSE CARD), LEADER SHEET, GOLD PIECE CARDS
SAY: “Merry Christmas Eve and welcome to Motion! My name is _______ and I’m your eGroup leader! As an eGroup we will hang out together, hear stories from the Bible, learn what it means to live for Jesus, and play games! During The Finders: Golden Christmas, we’ve been learning to reACT by responding to the gifts we’ve been given. And while The Finders are on the hunt for gold, we have been learning to reACT from something more valuable than gold – the Bible! The Bible is full of valuable and true information to help us know what Jesus says and how to live.
Let’s go mining for gold in our Bibles and see what the Bible says about how we can reACT to the gift of God’s promises.”
- Have kids sit in a circle. Read about the birth of Jesus in Luke 2:1-20 from your Bible.
SAY: “But the story doesn’t stop there. The Bible tells us Jesus had a few more visitors after He was born. Does anyone have any guesses?” Allow kids to guess. “You’re right! The wisemen also visited Jesus. Let’s see how the wisemen reACTed to God’s promises.”
- Have kids turn to Matthew 2:1 in their Bibles. NOTE: This may take time, but it helps them learn skills for reading the Bible on their own.
- Kids who do not have a Bible will use the Bible Story card (back of the Memory Verse card) they received during the Memory Verse activity. All the Bible passages are on the Bible Story card.
- Give each kid a gold piece card and a pen. As you read the story, kids will write down the “gold” mined from the Bible about how the wisemen reACTED to the gift of promises.
- Use the leader sheet and your Bible to read the Bible passage out loud, encouraging children to follow along in their Bibles or Bible Story cards as you read.
- After discussion, have kids put their gold piece card in their Bible (Matthew 2) to serve as a bookmark. Encourage kids to read the Bible story this week to remember how to reACT to the gift of promises.
SAY: “In Matthew, God promised a ruler for Israel would be born in the town of Bethlehem. But this isn’t the first time we see this promise in the Bible – it was written about 700 years before and recorded in the Old Testament book of the Bible called Micah, in chapter 5 verse 2! King Herod sent the wisemen to follow the star and see if this promise was true. When the wisemen found Jesus, they knew God’s promise was true! The wisemen reacted to the gift of promises, and we can to. When we receive a gift, we need to reACT to it. We need to APPRECIATE the gift, CHOOSE what to do, and TAKE the next step.”
FOLLOW THE STAR
DISCUSSION ACTIVITY: Kids will reACT to the gift of promises in their own lives.
FOLLOW THE STAR CARDS (6 SETS), PENS, BIBLES, STAR CANDY (1 PACKAGE PER CHILD)
SAY: “The wisemen followed the star which represented God’s promise to them. When the wisemen stood at the place where the star stopped, they found Jesus! They worshipped and praised Jesus because they knew Jesus was the King God promised them. God promised to send Jesus and also promises us many other things in the Bible. Let’s see how we can reACT to the gift of promises God has given us.”
- Divide the group into teams of two to three kids on each team. Give each team a set of Follow the Star cards and pens. Each team needs at least one Bible.
- Explain teams will race to follow the star (God’s promises) through the Bible. For each Follow the Star card, teams will read the situation aloud to their team and look up a verse in the Bible to see what God’s promise is to us. Teams will reACT to the promise on the Follow the Star card and continue for the remaining cards.
- Teams must complete the situations in order (1, 2, 3 …) and can only work on one card at a time.
- The first team to find all six of God’s promises wins! Give each team member a piece of star candy. As other teams finish, give them star candy as well.
- After all teams have completed the activity, discuss each Follow The Star card.
- Pick one step from reACT (Appreciate, Choose, or Take the Next Step) to discuss for each card.
- Encourage all teams to share. TIP: After asking the question, give teams 15-30 seconds of “talk time.” This allows children time to process the question and discuss what answer to share with the group.
SAY: “God’s promises are like gifts. We don’t do anything to deserve a gift just like we don’t do anything to deserve God’s promises. God promises us many things in the Bible – promises to be with us, or help us, or save us from our sins – because God loves us and wants good things for us. The best promise God made to us was to send His son, Jesus, to earth as a baby. Jesus would live life on earth and when He was older, die on a cross to save us from our sins. We can accept this gift by believing in Jesus. When we reACT to the promises God has given us, we show God we love Him and are grateful for what He has given us.”
STOP: TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
Take your lesson plan and Attendance Trading Cards with you to Large Group.
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
THE BRING IT! CHALLENGE WILL BE COMPLETED IN LARGE GROUP.
OVERVIEW: Due to shorter worship experiences for Christmas Eve, Motion kids will only receive the weekly attendance trading card and will not have time during Large Group to play the The Game. If time allows, kids can trade cards and play The Game during Dismissal.
SUPPLIES FOOL’S GOLD STICKER SHEET, WEEKLY ATTENDANCE TRADING CARDS, TRADING CARD CHRISTMAS PACKS (VIPs), PRIZE CARD – GOLDMAN’S LAIR
SAY: “It’s Christmas Eve and we are doing things a little bit differently today. Some of you know we’ve been collecting awesome trading cards and playing The Finders: The Game. Each of you will still receive an attendance trading card just for being here today, but we won’t have much time to trade cards or play The Game. And if this is your first time here today – don’t worry! We have a Trading Card Christmas Pack with everything you need to play The Game. Let’s pass out the attendance cards.”
- Give kids ONE attendance trading card. NOTE: Do not let them choose the card they would like. Randomly distribute one card to each child.
- Reward kids who have collected ALL FOUR Christmas Edition cards (Dani, Rosie, the Assimilation Ray, and the Magnifying Glass) with the Goldman’s Lair location card.
- Award kids with fool’s gold stickers on their game board for bringing their Bible and saying the series verse.
- Kids who forget their game boards can still collect fool’s gold stickers, but will not have a game board to place stickers on.
- Give VIPs/kids new to the series a Trading Card Christmas Pack. This pack contains all the materials, rules, and links to instructional videos to help a kid learn The Game at home.
IF TIME ALLOWS, SAY: “Right now as the worship experience ends, you have time to play The Game and earn more fool’s gold stickers for your game board. Find a partner and let’s play!”
- Allow kids to find a partner and play The Game.
- Give kids who forget their trading cards or game boards loaner packs.
- Collect loaner trading card packs and loaner game boards from each kid before the kid leaves Motion.
- Walk around Large Group and help kids play The Finders: The Game. Award game winners (first player to win two games) with a fool’s gold sticker for their game board.