THE FINDERS: FOOL’S GOLD
Week 3: January 16/17
eGROUP LESSON PLAN
Putting others first.
I can put others first by serving them.
MEMORY VERSE: PHILIPPIANS 2:3 (NIV)
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.
Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
Jesus Washes His Disciples’ Feet
ENGAGE starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins. (4:40, 9:10, 11:10)
Engage is a time to welcome kids to your eGroup with a fun activity to help them feel comfortable and get to know each other.
DO: Start by introducing yourself and welcoming kids to the eGroup. Ask them about their week and interests. Kids have three options during Engage: to play The Finders: The Game or either version of Spot It: “Find It First.” For kids playing Spot It: “Find It First,” wait until you have five to six kids before beginning Spot It: “Find It First.”
THE FINDERS: THE GAME
NOTE: VIP’s and kids new to the series will receive their Bring It! supplies during the second half of large group, during Bring It! Encourage these kids to play Spot It: “Find It First” to allow them to get to know others in the eGroup. Kids who forget their game cards or game board can use a loaner pack of cards or loaner game board to play The Game during Engage.
LOANER TRADING CARD BASE PACKS, LOANER GAME BOARDS, FOOL’S GOLD STICKER SHEET
- Have kids find a partner and lay out their game boards, shuffle their cards, and put their cards on the DRAW space.
- Allow kids to play The Game. Help kids as needed.
- Award the winners of games a fool’s gold sticker.
SPOT IT: “FIND IT FIRST” EDITION
SPOT IT CARDS (1 FOOL’S GOLD CARD IN EACH DECK), “FIND IT FIRST” GAME SHEET
- Have players sit in a circle. Decide which version to play: Version 1 (the goal is for one player to collect the most cards) or Version 2 (the goal is for one player to have the least amount of cards).
- Use the “Find It First” game sheet for game play and instructions.
BEGIN 10 MINUTES AFTER THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS (5:10, 9:40, 11:40)
During this time introduce your eGroup to the series virtue and memory verse. Spend time teaching and practicing the memory verse.
BIBLE PENS, GOLD STICKY NOTES, MEMORY VERSE CARDS
SAY: “Welcome to eGroup! My name is _______ and I’m your eGroup leader! As an eGroup we will hang out together during Motion, hear stories from the Bible, learn what it means to live for Jesus, and play games!
This weekend we continue Part 2 of Finders 4: Fool’s Gold! As The Finders continue their search for their nemesis, Goldman, they will need to learn the importance of humility and putting others first. Today we will learn we can show humility by putting others first by serving them.
The Bible tells us when we value others above ourselves, we are showing humility. Let’s memorize Philippians 2:3 to help us remember what the Bible says about humility and how we should live our lives.”
- Read the verse out loud:
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.
Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
1 Philippians 2:3 (NIV)
- Help kids look up the memory verse in their Bibles. Encourage children to use the Bible pens to highlight the verse in their Bible and a gold sticky note to mark the spot in their Bible. Give a memory verse card to kids who did not bring their Bibles.
- As time allows, practice the verse with your group. You can use the following methods to help kids learn the memory verse:
- REPEAT AFTER ME: Have kids repeat the words after you.
- PAIR UP: After practicing the verse as a group, have kids pair up to practice the verse.
- MOTIONS: Come up with motions to help remember the verse as a group. Practice it together.
- DROP A BEAT: Put the verse to a beat as you say it together. You can do this by clapping, patting your legs, stomping, or any combination to make a beat.
- Remind kids they can recite the memory verse each week to earn a piece of fool’s gold for their The Game game board.
STOP: TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
CONNECT ACTIVITY: Kids will connect the idea of humility with the weekly Finders 4: Fool’s Gold episode and connect with each other.
FINDERS 4 CHARACTER CARDS (Hannah, Charlie, Less)
SAY: “Did you think Charlie would figure out where Goldman was hiding? The Finders are one step closer to finding Goldman and his hideout!”
- Review the characters in today’s episode of Finders 4: Fool’s Gold by displaying the three Finders 4 character cards seen in the episode.
- Place the Charlie, Hannah, and Less cards in separate sections of the eGroup area.
- Have kids sit around the character cards of their favorite character from today’s episode.
- Once kids are sitting around the card have them introduce themselves to their group and share why this character is their favorite from episode six of Finders 4: Fool’s Gold.
SAY: “I love learning more and more about these characters each week. Now we have all had the chance to choose our favorite character from today’s episode, let’s talk about what happened!”
- Ask the following questions and have kids discuss in their groups. Share answers from different groups after each question.
- What did the FBI give Charlie to help her? (An intern named Less.)
- Who do you think Charlie appreciates more: Hannah? Less? Neither Hannah nor Less? Why?
- Who remembers our main point today? (I can put others first by serving them.) How did Less put Charlie first and serve her? (He helped get the supplies ready to test the gold and is willing to do whatever Charlie needs.)
- How could Charlie put others first and serve them? (Working as a team with The Finders and Less instead of doing everything herself. She could serve them by hearing their ideas and getting their suggestions on how to find Goldman.)
- Collect the cards before moving on to the next activity.
JESUS WASHES HIS DISCIPLES’ FEET | JOHN 13:1-17
BIBLE STORY ACTIVITY: Kids will assimilate the story by piecing different parts of the story together.
BIBLES, ASSIMILATION SHEET, BLACK AND GOLD PAPER, WOOD STYLUS, LEADER SHEET, PYRITE POINT CLUE CARD, SCRIPTURE CARD
SAY: “Each week of Fool’s Gold we’ve been assimilating (assimilate means to to take in and understand) information in the Bible to learn what the Bible says. And each time we assimilate a Bible story, we earn clues to learn more about the mysterious Pyrite Point!
Let’s assimilate this week’s Bible story to see how Jesus showed humility by serving others.”
- Have kids sit in a circle with their Bibles.
- Use the leader sheet to instruct kids where to turn in their Bibles to find and read Jesus’ words about humility. NOTE: This may take time, but it helps them learn skills for reading the Bible on their own.
- Kids who do not have a Bible will use the Scripture Card (back of the Memory Verse card) they received during the Memory Verse activity.
- Give each kid a piece of black and gold paper and a wood stylus. Have kids draw two lines to divide their paper into four sections. For each part of the Bible story you read to the kids, have them draw or write the appropriate response on their paper.
- Jesus says, “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.” What example does Jesus set for us? (Serving others by putting them first.)
- How does Jesus put His disciples first by serving them? (He washed the their feet, a job reserved for servants or slaves. He put Himself in a position of humbling Himself and became the least among the disciples.)
- Can you think of other examples from the Bible of how Jesus put others first by serving them? (feed 5,000 people, died so our sins could be forgiven, healing people)
- After discussion, have kids put their black and gold paper on the Bible Story Box on the Assimilation Sheet. NOTE: Before heading to Large Group, return the black and gold paper to each kid.
SAY: “Great job! Now that we have assimilated our Bible story, we’ve earned our Pyrite Point clue card. (Place the card on the assimilation mat and read it aloud to the group.) Let’s learn more about humility and earn our next clue!”
DO: Place the Pyrite Point clue card card on the Clue 1 Box on the Assimilation Sheet.
DISCUSSION ACTIVITY: Kids will apply the lesson of humility to their own lives.
ASSIMILATION SHEET (FROM PREVIOUS ACTIVITY), CHESS BOARD (2), BLACK CHESS PIECE CARDS (2 SETS), WHITE CHESS PIECE CARDS (2 SETS), PYRITE POINT CLUE CARD (4 SETS), PYRITE POINT CANDY
SAY: “Jesus told us the example we need to follow – HIS example of showing humility and putting others first. It’s not always easy to put others first and serve them. Jesus knew Judas would betray Him, but Jesus served him anyway. Let’s talk about how we can be like Jesus and put others first by serving them.”
- Divide your eGroup into two groups. Give each group a chess board and one set of black chess piece cards and one set of white chess piece cards. Have each group split into two teams. Teams will set up their chess board similar to the game checkers.
- One team will place their chess piece cards on the darker squares in the three rows closest to their team. The other team will place their chess piece cards on the lighter squares in the three rows closest to their team.
- Explain teams will take turns flipping over their chess piece cards, competing to collect all six Pyrite Point clue cards before the other team. The first team to collect all six Pyrite Point clue cards will earn an extra piece of Pyrite Point candy.
- Allow teams to take turns flipping over chess piece cards.
- If the chess piece card has a question on the back, the team will read the question aloud for the group to discuss. After discussion it becomes the next team’s turn to flip over a chess piece card.
- If the chess piece card says, “Pyrite Point Clue Card,” give the team one piece of the Pyrite Point clue cards.
- Continue until one team has collected all six Pyrite Point clue cards.
SAY: “Great job collecting Pyrite Point clue cards and discussing how we can be like Jesus by serving others. When we serve others, we are showing humility and obeying Jesus. Let’s assimilate our second Pyrite Point clue card to learn more about Pyrite Point and guess today’s flavor of Pyrite Point Penny Candy! (Have the winning team assimilate the Pyrite Point clue card pieces on the Clue 2 box on the Assimilation Sheet. Read the clues from each Pyrite Point clue card to the group and allow kids to respond.) Can you guess today’s type of candy? (Allow kids to respond.) That’s right, it’s smiley face bubble gum! When we serve others, it should be with a smile and a good attitude! Here is a piece of Pyrite Point Penny Candy! Come back next week to earn more Pyrite Point Penny Candy by learning about humility.”
DO: Pass out one piece of Pyrite Point Penny Candy to each kid. Allow them to eat it. Make sure they clean up the eGroup area afterward!
PYRITE POINT CHECKERS
PRAYER AND GAME ACTIVITY: Prayer is an important way to share Jesus with passion. Spend time in prayer with your eGroup before beginning the game.
eKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL, PENS, CHESS BOARDS (2), RED CHECKERS CARDS (2 SETS), BLACK CHECKERS CARDS (2 SETS)
SAY: “Before we begin our last activity, let’s pray together.”
DO: Take prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup kids during the week. Encourage kids to share one or two prayer requests. Invite kids to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, thank You for sending us Jesus. Thank you for the example Jesus set for how we can put others first by serving them. Help us to look for opportunities to put others before ourselves and serve them like Jesus served the disciples. We love You. Amen.”
SAY: “Charlie may be a chess wizard, but in Pyrite Point, the town where Goldman is hiding out, the townspeople are expert checkers players! Let’s see if your team can become wizards in a game of Pyrite Point checkers.”
- Divide your eGroup into two groups. Give each group a chess board and one set of red checkers cards and one set of black checkers cards. Have each group split into two teams. Teams will set up their chess board similar to the game checkers.
- Both teams will place their checkers cards on the darker squares in the three rows closest to their team.
- Explain the object of the game is to capture the other teams checkers or position your pieces so the other team has no available moves.
- Teams will STAND to play the checkers game. Each time a team’s checker card is captured the entire team must share one way they can serve others with the body part listed on the checker card then lose the use of that body part for the rest of the game.
- Choose one team to begin the game.
- Continue all checkers cards have been captured or a team has no available moves.
STOP: TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
Take lesson plan and Bring It! Supply Pouch to Large Group!
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
THE BRING IT! CHALLENGE WILL BE COMPLETED IN LARGE GROUP.
OVERVIEW: During Finders 4: Golden Christmas kids will participate in the most exciting trading card challenge yet, The Finders: The Game! Kids can collect trading cards by attending Motion and use the cards to play The Game. Kids can collect fool’s gold pieces on their game boards for winning trading card games, bringing their Bibles, saying the series verse, and participating in Large Group games. Each week kids get one new Finders 4 trading card from the eGroup supply.
PER eGROUP: PART 2 CARD RELEASE POSTER, FOOL’S GOLD STICKER SHEET, WEEKLY ATTENDANCE TRADING CARDS, LOANER TRADING CARD BASE PACKS, LOANER GAME BOARDS
SAY: “Before we start playing The Game, let’s review the Bring It! Challenge and prizes you can earn for winning games!”
- Review the prizes for each level using the information on the game board. Explain kids have to earn the level 1 prize before earning the level 2 prize, and earn the level 2 prize before earning the level 3 prize.
- Remind kids each week in Large Group they will have time to trade cards and play The Game and to bring back their cards every week so they can collect and trade.
- Tell kids they will receive a card each week for just attending Motion! Show the card release poster for cards being released during Part 2 of The Finders: Fool’s Gold. Give kids ONE attendance trading card. NOTE: Do not let them choose the card they would like. Randomly distribute one card to each child.
- Award kids with fool’s gold stickers on their game board for bringing their Bible or saying the series verse. Remind kids they can earn more fool’s gold stickers for winning rounds of The Finders: The Game and winning Large Group games, too!
- Give VIPs/kids new to the series a game board to collect stickers on.
- Kids who forget their game boards can still collect fool’s gold stickers, but will not have a game board to place stickers on.
SAY: “Right now as the worship experience ends, you have time to play The Game and earn more fool’s gold stickers for your game board. Find a partner and let’s play!”
- Give kids who forget their trading cards or game boards loaner packs.
- Collect loaner trading card packs and loaner game boards from each kid before the kid leaves Motion.
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
VIPS & KIDS NEW TO THE SERIES
COMPLETE AFTER EXPLAINING BRING IT! IN THE PREVIOUS SECTION
GAME BOARD, PART 2 GAME BOARD STICKER, TRADING CARD BASE PACK, PLASTIC CARD CONTAINER, GOLD PIECE
- Give each kid a game board and Part 2 game board sticker to place on their game board. Have kids write their first and last name on their game board with a Sharpie marker.
- Review the information on the back of the game board, including series information and how to earn fool’s gold stickers and prizes.
- Give each kid a trading card base pack, plastic card container, and gold piece.
- Have kids partner up and play one game together, step by step:
- Tell kids they will be playing one game of the beginner’s version together. When they play later with their friends, they can choose to play the more advanced version with item cards and location cards in full effect.
- SAY: Lay out your game board, shuffle your cards, and place the cards face down on the DRAW space.
- SAY: Everyone turn over the top card of your deck. Do that now. The player who drew the higher power card gets to go second.
- SAY: Now, everyone draw 5 cards. If you are the player who is supposed to go first, give me a wave. OK, player 1, choose the two cards which have the highest power when added together and will lay those cards onto the ‘Card 1’ and ‘Card 2’ spaces. Player 2, play your two best cards, trying to play better cards than player 1. Everyone go ahead and do that now.
- SAY: Now determine who won that round. Everyone take the cards off of the ‘Card 1’ and ‘Card 2’ spaces and put those cards, along with the rest of your hand, on the DISCARD pile.
- SAY: Let’s begin the second round by everyone drawing five new cards and switching who goes first and second. Go ahead and play the second round of the game and we’ll see if someone can walk away with their first victory. Play the second round now.
- DO: Give kids time to play a second round.
- SAY: If you’re tied after two rounds, you and your opponent will play one final round to determine the victor. For the third round, whoever went second in the first game gets to go first again.
- Allow kids to find a new partner and continue to play The Game.
DO: Walk around Large Group and help kids play The Finders: The Game. Award game winners (first player to win two games) with a fool’s gold sticker for their game board.