THE FINDERS: FOOL’S GOLD
Week 1: January 2/3
eGROUP LESSON PLAN
God created us to be in community with other people.
eGroups aren’t here just to have fun. eGroups are here to
celebrate the good things in each others lives and also
help us through the hard times in our lives.
eGroups help me CONNECT WITH PEOPLE and GROW IN MY FAITH
1 Samuel 16:15-23; 18:1-4; 19:1-7; 20
ENGAGE starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins. (4:40, 9:10, 11:10)
Engage is a time to welcome kids to your eGroup with a fun activity to help them feel comfortable and get to know each other.
DO: Start by introducing yourself and welcoming kids to the eGroup. Ask them about their week and interests. Kids have three options during Engage: to play The Finders: The Game or either version of Spot It: “Find It First.” For kids playing Spot It: “Find It First,” wait until you have five to six kids before beginning Spot It: “Find It First.”
THE FINDERS: THE GAME
NOTE: VIP’s and kids new to the series will receive their Bring It! supplies during the second half of large group, during Bring It! Encourage these kids to play Spot It: “Find It First” to allow them to get to know others in the eGroup. Kids who forget their game cards or game board can use a loaner pack of cards or loaner game board to play The Game during Engage.
LOANER TRADING CARD BASE PACKS, LOANER GAME BOARDS, FOOL’S GOLD STICKER SHEET
- Have kids find a partner and lay out their game boards, shuffle their cards, and put their cards on the DRAW space.
- Allow kids to play The Game. Help kids as needed.
- Award the winners of games a fool’s gold sticker.
SPOT IT: “FIND IT FIRST” EDITION
SPOT IT CARDS (1 FOOL’S GOLD CARD IN EACH DECK), “FIND IT FIRST” GAME SHEET
- Have players sit in a circle. Decide which version to play: Version 1 (the goal is for one player to collect the most cards) or Version 2 (the goal is for one player to have the least amount of cards).
- Use the “Find It First” game sheet for game play and instructions.
MY eGROUP TEAM
BEGIN 10 MINUTES AFTER THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS (5:10, 9:40, 11:40)
MY eGROUP TEAM
During this time introduce your eGroup to their eGroup team.
eGROUP TEAM LEADER SHEET, eGROUP TEAM CARD, PENS, STRIPS OF PAPER
NOTE: During your Motion eTeam meeting, have each eGL share three facts about themselves and use the eGroup Team Leader Sheet to record these facts. Keep facts short. Facts can include favorite food, hobbies, talents, countries visited, books read, family information, etc.
SAY: “Welcome to eGroup! My name is _______ and I’m your eGroup leader! As an eGroup we will hang out together during Motion, hear stories from the Bible, learn what it means to live for Jesus, and play games! Did you know in Motion there are a team of eGroup leaders who want you to learn about Jesus and have the most fun? You may not always see all of us, but our eGroup team is here for YOU each week!”
DO: Show an eGroup Team card to the group.
ASK: “Have any of you seen this picture before? Some of you might have received this picture in the mail. It’s a picture of some of the eGroup leaders who are part of your eGroup team.”
- Give each kid an eGroup Team card and pen.
- Write down the first name of each eGroup leader on a strip of paper large enough so all kids can read it. Spread the strips around your eGroup space so all kids can reference them.
- Explain kids will try and name the eGroup leaders on their team based on facts about each eGroup leader.
- Use the eGroup Team Leader sheet to share the eGroup leader facts.
- As you read the three facts for each eGroup leader, give kids time to write down their guesses.
- After all facts have been read, review the answers with your group.
eGROUP TEAM CHALLENGE: Challenge your eGroup to be the first to collect the autographs of all eGroup leaders on their card. The first kid to collect all the autographs wins a Finders: Fool’s Gold Part 2 trading card! Autographs can only be collected during appropriate times. (transition, during countdowns)
STOP: TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
THE FINDERS AS FRIENDS
CONNECT ACTIVITY: Kids will connect the idea of The Finders and friendship with an eGroup.
FINDERS 4 CHARACTER CARDS (Caleb, Charlie, Hannah, Zack)
SAY: “After The Finders took their Christmas break, I’m glad we got caught up on what happened during Part 1 of The Finders: Fool’s Gold. Now I’m ready for Part 2 of Fool’s Gold and a brand new episode next week!”
- Review The Finders characters in today’s recap episode of Finders 4: Fool’s Gold by displaying the four Finders 4 character cards seen in the episode.
- Place the Caleb, Charlie, Hannah, and Zack cards in separate sections of the eGroup area.
- Have kids sit around the character cards of their favorite character from today’s episode.
- Once kids are sitting around the card have them introduce themselves to their group and share why this character is their favorite from the recap episode of Finders 4: Fool’s Gold.
SAY: “The Finders have experienced some tough stuff, but they got through it together as a team. Let’s talk about how The Finders have been there for each other.”
- Ask the following questions and have kids discuss in their groups. Share answers from different groups after each question.
- Are The Finders good friends? Why or why not? (They are there for each other and help each other. They stick together.)
- What is one characteristic that makes a good friend? (honest, loyal, cares for others, good listener, trustworthy, kind, dependable, etc.)
- Who is your best friend? Why are they your best friend?
- When did a Finder help another Finder through a hard time? What did the Finder do to help?
- How has a friend helped you through a hard time or you have helped a friend through a hard time?
- Could The Finders do anything to be better friends with each other?
- Collect the cards before moving on to the next activity.
BIBLE STORY ACTIVITY: Kids will read a Bible story to support the role of eGroups in our lives.
BIBLES, LEADER SHEET
SAY: “Watching those episodes got me thinking about The Finders and how they always seem to be there for each other. Did you know that’s why we have eGroups in Motion? We want you to have a group of people who can be your friends and help you grow in your faith, just like The Finders do for each other.
Let’s check out a story in the Bible about two men who shouldn’t have been friends, but helped each other out even during the toughest of times.”
- Have kids sit in a circle with their Bibles.
- Use the leader sheet to instruct kids where to turn in their Bibles to find and read about David and Jonathan’s friendship. NOTE: This may take time, but it helps them learn skills for reading the Bible on their own.
- Kids will complete different actions as they listen to the Bible story. Review the actions with the kids:
- ACTION 1: Saul – Act like you are putting a crown on your head.
- ACTION 2: David – Act like you are playing a harp.
- ACTION 3: Jonathan – Give a high five to someone in the group.
- Read the leader sheet and have kids act out the Bible story.
SAY: “David and Jonathan made a pledge to be friends! They said no matter what happened, they would be there for each other. The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 4:9. “Two people are better than one. They can help each other in everything they do.” David and Jonathan had fun together as friends, but also helped each other in hard times. One of the best steps you can take is to come to church and be in an eGroup each week, to not only learn more about Jesus, but to have other friends that can help you live out your faith.”
DISCUSSION ACTIVITY: Kids will learn why eGroups are important to their lives.
GROUP CARD (1 PER CHILD), PENS, NUMBER DIE (3)
SAY: “The story of David and Jonathan and The Finders are examples of what our Motion eGroups should be. God created us to be in community and live life with other people. eGroups aren’t here just to have fun. eGroups are here to celebrate the good things in each others lives and also help us through the hard times in our lives.”
- Give each kid a Group card and pen.
- Divide your group into three teams and give each team a number die.
- Explain teams will roll the die and complete an action based on the number rolled.
- Teams will roll the die a total of six times and complete an action after each roll.
- After the game, review the six situations. Invite kids to share other examples of good times and hard times in David and Jonathan’s, The Finders, and their own lives.
SAY: “Good and bad things happen to everyone – to Jesus, to people in the Bible, to The Finders, and to everyone in this eGroup! Hebrews 10:24-25a says, “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another.” God didn’t create us to live life alone – He created us to live life together with other people!”
- Read Ecclesiastes 4:9 again. What does this verse say about why it is good to have people in your life? (Two people can help each other in all they do.)
- How is this verse true for David and Jonathan? The Finders? Motion eGroups?
- Read Hebrews 10:24-25a again. What does this verse tell us not to do? (give up meeting together)
- What are other groups you meet with? (sports teams, clubs, family, church, etc.)
- When is it easy to give up meeting together?
- Why should we continue to meet together at church?
- How can Motion eGroups help you grow?
- In the Hebrews verse it says, “consider how we may spur one another on …” What does spur mean? (to encourage or prompt someone) How can we ‘spur one another on’ as an eGroup?
PRAYER AND GAME ACTIVITY: Prayer is an important way to share Jesus with passion. Spend time in prayer with your eGroup before beginning the game.
eKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL, PENS, NOTE CARDS, BETTER TOGETHER CARDS, PIECES OF PAPER
SAY: “Before we begin our last activity, let’s pray together.”
- Give kids a note card and pen.
- Ask kids to write the following sentence on their card: “My Motion eGroup can help me _________. I am praying for ___________.” Have kids complete the sentences.
- After everyone is finished have them put their cards face down in the center of the group.
- Ask kids to share prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup kids during the week. Encourage kids to share one or two prayer requests. Invite kids to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, thank You for Elevation Church. Thank you that we can meet together each week to learn more about You. Thank you for this eGroup and placing people in our lives who are there for us and can help us grow in our faith. This week help us to celebrate others and spur others on toward love and good deeds. We love You. Amen.”
DO: Collect the note cards and put them in your eKidz prayer journal. After the worship experience ends, share your group’s answers to the question, “My Motion eGroup can help me _______.” with your eTeam leader.
SAY: “I’m so glad each of you are part of this eGroup where we can connect with each other and grow in our faith. Not only do we make each other better, we are better together! In our last game, let’s look at some things that are better together.”
- Place the Better Together cards face down in the center of the group. Choose one kid to be the judge and flip over the top card. Give the rest of the group 15-30 seconds to write down a word on a piece of paper which makes the word on the Better Together card “better.”
- When time is up, each kid will read their word aloud and the judge will decide which word makes the Better Together card better. This kid receives 10 points and becomes the judge for the next round. The kid with the most points at the end of the game wins!
STOP: TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
Take lesson plan and Bring It! Supply Pouch to Large Group!
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
THE BRING IT! CHALLENGE WILL BE COMPLETED IN LARGE GROUP.
OVERVIEW: During Finders 4: Golden Christmas kids will participate in the most exciting trading card challenge yet, The Finders: The Game! Kids can collect trading cards by attending Motion and use the cards to play The Game. Kids can collect fool’s gold pieces on their game boards for winning trading card games, bringing their Bibles, saying the series verse, and participating in Large Group games. Each week kids get one new Finders 4 trading card from the eGroup supply.
PER eGROUP: PART 2 CARD RELEASE POSTER, FOOL’S GOLD STICKER SHEET, WEEKLY ATTENDANCE TRADING CARDS, LOANER TRADING CARD BASE PACKS, LOANER GAME BOARDS
SAY: “Before we start playing The Game, let’s review the Bring It! Challenge and prizes you can earn for winning games!”
- Review the prizes for each level using the information on the game board. Explain kids have to earn the level 1 prize before earning the level 2 prize, and earn the level 2 prize before earning the level 3 prize.
- Remind kids each week in Large Group they will have time to trade cards and play The Game and to bring back their cards every week so they can collect and trade.
- Tell kids they will receive a card each week for just attending Motion! Show the card release poster for cards being released during The Finders: Fool’s Gold Part 2. Give kids ONE attendance trading card. NOTE: Do not let them choose the card they would like. Randomly distribute one card to each child.
- Award kids with fool’s gold stickers on their game board for bringing their Bible, saying the series verse, and showing humility during eGroup. Remind kids they can earn more fool’s gold stickers for winning rounds of The Finders: The Game and winning Large Group games, too!
- Give VIPs/kids new to the series a game board to collect stickers on.
- Kids who forget their game boards can still collect fool’s gold stickers, but will not have a game board to place stickers on.
SAY: “Right now as the worship experience ends, you have time to play The Game and earn more fool’s gold stickers for your game board. Find a partner and let’s play!”
- Give kids who forget their trading cards or game boards loaner packs.
- Collect loaner trading card packs and loaner game boards from each kid before the kid leaves Motion.
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
VIPS & KIDS NEW TO THE SERIES
COMPLETE AFTER EXPLAINING BRING IT! IN THE PREVIOUS SECTION
GAME BOARD, PART 2 GAME BOARD STICKER, TRADING CARD BASE PACK, PLASTIC CARD CONTAINER, GOLD PIECE
- Give each kid a game board and Part 2 game board sticker to place on their game board. Have kids write their first and last name on their game board with a Sharpie marker.
- Review the information on the back of the game board, including series information and how to earn fool’s gold stickers and prizes.
- Give each kid a trading card base pack, plastic card container, and gold piece.
- Have kids partner up and play one game together, step by step:
- Tell kids they will be playing one game of the beginner’s version together. When they play later with their friends, they can choose to play the more advanced version with item cards and location cards in full effect.
- SAY: Lay out your game board, shuffle your cards, and place the cards face down on the DRAW space.
- SAY: Everyone turn over the top card of your deck. Do that now. The player who drew the higher power card gets to go second.
- SAY: Now, everyone draw 5 cards. If you are the player who is supposed to go first, give me a wave. OK, player 1, choose the two cards which have the highest power when added together and will lay those cards onto the ‘Card 1’ and ‘Card 2’ spaces. Player 2, play your two best cards, trying to play better cards than player 1. Everyone go ahead and do that now.
- SAY: Now determine who won that round. Everyone take the cards off of the ‘Card 1’ and ‘Card 2’ spaces and put those cards, along with the rest of your hand, on the DISCARD pile.
- SAY: Let’s begin the second round by everyone drawing five new cards and switching who goes first and second. Go ahead and play the second round of the game and we’ll see if someone can walk away with their first victory. Play the second round now.
- DO: Give kids time to play a second round.
- SAY: If you’re tied after two rounds, you and your opponent will play one final round to determine the victor. For the third round, whoever went second in the first game gets to go first again.
- Allow kids to find a new partner and continue to play The Game.
DO: Walk around Large Group and help kids play The Finders: The Game. Award game winners (first player to win two games) with a fool’s gold sticker for their game board.