THE FINDERS: FOOL’S GOLD
Week 2: January 9/10
eGROUP LESSON PLAN
Putting others first.
I can put others first by giving what I have.
MEMORY VERSE: PHILIPPIANS 2:3 (NIV)
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.
Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
1 John 3:17-18
ENGAGE starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins. (4:40, 9:10, 11:10)
Engage is a time to welcome kids to your eGroup with a fun activity to help them feel comfortable and get to know each other.
DO: Start by introducing yourself and welcoming kids to the eGroup. Ask them about their week and interests. Kids have three options during Engage: to play The Finders: The Game or either version of Spot It: “Find It First.” For kids playing Spot It: “Find It First,” wait until you have five to six kids before beginning Spot It: “Find It First.”
THE FINDERS: THE GAME
NOTE: VIP’s and kids new to the series will receive their Bring It! supplies during the second half of large group, during Bring It! Encourage these kids to play Spot It: “Find It First” to allow them to get to know others in the eGroup. Kids who forget their game cards or game board can use a loaner pack of cards or loaner game board to play The Game during Engage.
LOANER TRADING CARD BASE PACKS, LOANER GAME BOARDS, FOOL’S GOLD STICKER SHEET
- Have kids find a partner and lay out their game boards, shuffle their cards, and put their cards on the DRAW space.
- Allow kids to play The Game. Help kids as needed.
- Award the winners of games a fool’s gold sticker.
SPOT IT: “FIND IT FIRST” EDITION
SPOT IT CARDS (1 FOOL’S GOLD CARD IN EACH DECK), “FIND IT FIRST” GAME SHEET
- Have players sit in a circle. Decide which version to play: Version 1 (the goal is for one player to collect the most cards) or Version 2 (the goal is for one player to have the least amount of cards).
- Use the “Find It First” game sheet for game play and instructions.
BEGIN 10 MINUTES AFTER THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS (5:10, 9:40, 11:40)
During this time introduce your eGroup to the series virtue and memory verse. Spend time teaching and practicing the memory verse.
BIBLE PENS, GOLD STICKY NOTES, MEMORY VERSE CARDS
SAY: “Welcome to eGroup! My name is _______ and I’m your eGroup leader! As an eGroup we will hang out together during Motion, hear stories from the Bible, learn what it means to live for Jesus, and play games!
This weekend we start Part 2 of Finders 4: Fool’s Gold! In Part 1, The Finders learned how to be responsible while coming close to catching Goldman, their nemesis. As they continue their search for him, they will need to learn the importance of humility and putting others first. Today we will learn we can show humility by putting others first by giving what we have.
The Bible tells us when we value others above ourselves, we are showing humility. Let’s memorize Philippians 2:3 to help us remember what the Bible says about humility and how we should live our lives.”
- Read the verse out loud:
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.
Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
1 Philippians 2:3 (NIV)
- Help kids look up the memory verse in their Bibles. Encourage children to use the Bible pens to highlight the verse in their Bible and a gold sticky note to mark the spot in their Bible. Give a memory verse card to kids who did not bring their Bibles.
- As time allows, practice the verse with your group. You can use the following methods to help kids learn the memory verse:
- REPEAT AFTER ME: Have kids repeat the words after you.
- PAIR UP: After practicing the verse as a group, have kids pair up to practice the verse.
- MOTIONS: Come up with motions to help remember the verse as a group. Practice it together.
- DROP A BEAT: Put the verse to a beat as you say it together. You can do this by clapping, patting your legs, stomping, or any combination to make a beat.
STOP: TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
CONNECT ACTIVITY: Kids will connect the idea of humility with the weekly Finders 4: Fool’s Gold episode and connect with each other.
FINDERS 4 CHARACTER CARDS (Charlie, Hannah)
SAY: “I can’t believe how famous Charlie has become! It sounds like Hannah might be worried that all this attention might go to Charlie’s head. Did you see what happened when Charlie put on the chess piece necklace from a fan? I can’t wait to find out what happens with The Finders next week!”
- Review the characters in today’s episode of Finders 4: Fool’s Gold by displaying the two Finders 4 character cards seen in the episode.
- Place the Charlie and Hannah cards in separate sections of the eGroup area.
- Have kids sit around the character cards of their favorite character from today’s episode.
- Once kids are sitting around the card have them introduce themselves to their group and share why this character is their favorite from episode five of Finders 4: Fool’s Gold.
SAY: “Now we have all had the chance to choose our favorite character from today’s episode, let’s talk about what happened!”
- Ask the following questions and have kids discuss in their groups. Share answers from different groups after each question.
- What has changed for Charlie now that she is famous? (People are taking pictures of her, she is on magazine covers, she gets fan mail, etc.)
- The opposite of humility is pride; it’s not putting others first. Did Charlie do anything that might be considered prideful? (She is taking her fan mail for granted, spending a lot of time on her looks, and choosing to not wear glasses.)
- What does Hannah mean when she tells Charlie, “pride goes before a fall”? (She means something bad could happen to Charlie if she lets the success go to her head and make her prideful.)
- Do you think Charlie’s new attitude will help The Finders find Goldman? Why or why not?
- Collect the cards before moving on to the next activity.
JOHN’S ADVICE | 1 JOHN 3:17-18
BIBLE STORY ACTIVITY: Kids will assimilate the story by piecing different parts of the story together.
BIBLES, ASSIMILATION SHEET, BLACK AND GOLD PAPER, WOOD STYLUS, LEADER SHEET, PYRITE POINT CLUE CARD, SCRIPTURE CARD
SAY: “Remember the assimilation ray Charlie had in today’s episode? She used the ray to get from one place to another. During Part 1 of Fool’s Gold, we learned the assimilation ray was invented by Hannah’s Uncle Xander, a famous candy maker.
Each week we’re going to assimilate our Bible story. To assimilate means to to take in and understand. We’ll also earn clues to learn more about the mysterious Pyrite Point! Let’s assimilate this week’s Bible story by hearing what John, Jesus’ best friend, said about humility.”
- Have kids sit in a circle with their Bibles.
- Use the leader sheet to instruct kids where to turn in their Bibles to find and read John’s words about humility. NOTE: This may take time, but it helps them learn skills for reading the Bible on their own.
- Kids who do not have a Bible will use the Scripture Card (back of the Memory Verse card) they received during the Memory Verse activity.
- Give each kid a piece of black and gold paper and a wood stylus. Have kids draw two lines to divide their paper into four sections. For each part of the Bible story you read to the kids, have them draw or write the appropriate response on their paper.
- How does John tell us we should put others first? (Use our actions to give what we have.)
- Name some “actions” we have that we can use to put others first? (Spend time with people, have a conversation with someone who is having a bad day, pray for others, share our toys, give away clothes and toys we no longer need, let someone go ahead of you in the lunch line or playground)
- After discussion, have kids put their black and gold paper on the Bible Story Box on the Assimilation Sheet. NOTE: Before heading to Large Group, return the black and gold paper to each kid.
SAY: “Great job! Now that we have assimilated our Bible story, we’ve earned our Pyrite Point clue card. (Place the card on the assimilation mat and read it aloud to the group.) Let’s learn more about humility and earn our next clue!”
DO: Place the Pyrite Point clue card card on the Clue 1 Box on the Assimilation Sheet.
GIVING WHAT I HAVE
DISCUSSION ACTIVITY: Kids will apply the lesson of humility to their own lives.
ASSIMILATION SHEET (FROM PREVIOUS ACTIVITY), GOLD BALL, QUESTION CARD, PYRITE POINT CLUE CARD, PYRITE POINT CANDY
SAY: “Jesus led by example when it came to humility. Jesus said in Matthew 20:20, “Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Even though Jesus should have been treated like a king, He spent his whole life serving other people and putting them first! Let’s talk more about how we can be like Jesus and put others first by giving what we have.”
- Have kids sit in a circle.
- Pass the gold ball to one kid and see what number his or her right thumb lands on. Ask the kid a question from the question card based on the number their right thumb lands on. After the question is discussed, give this kid one piece of the Pyrite Point clue card.
- Have the kid throw or roll the gold ball to another kid in the group. Ask a corresponding question from the question card and continue until all questions have been discussed.
- After all eight questions have been discussed assimilate the Pyrite Point clue card pieces together on the Assimilation Sheet.
SAY: “When we give what we have and put others before ourselves, we are showing humility! Let’s assimilate our second Pyrite Point clue card to learn more about Pyrite Point and guess today’s flavor of Pyrite Point Penny Candy! (Read the clues from each Pyrite Point Clue Card to the group and allow kids to respond.) Can you guess today’s type of candy? (Allow kids to respond.) That’s right, it’s a chocolate star! Who in today’s episode was acting like a star and not putting others first? (Charlie) Charlie wanted recognition, but lost her humility in the pursuit of it. To live like Jesus, we need to put others first, not ourselves! Here is a piece of Pyrite Point Penny Candy! Come back next week to earn more Pyrite Point Penny Candy by learning about humility.”
DO: Pass out one piece of Pyrite Point Penny Candy to each kid. Allow them to eat it. Make sure they clean up the eGroup area afterward!
STRIKE A POSE
PRAYER AND GAME ACTIVITY: Prayer is an important way to share Jesus with passion. Spend time in prayer with your eGroup before beginning the game.
eKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL, PENS, PAPER GLASSES, STRIKE A POSE CARDS (8), 30 SECOND TIMER
SAY: “Before we begin our last activity, let’s pray together.”
DO: Take prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup kids during the week. Encourage kids to share one or two prayer requests. Invite kids to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, thank You for showing us how important it is to you to show humility by giving what we have. Help us put others first so we can be more like Jesus. We love You. Amen.”
SAY: “In today’s Finders 4: Fool’s Gold episode, we saw Charlie strike a pose on the cover of lots of magazines! Do you think you can strike a pose as well as Charlie did? Let’s see which team can strike the best pose, but first, you are going to need your own pair of glasses like Charlie’s. Her glasses may not have had blue and red lenses, but they just might help you out in this race!”
- Divide your eGroup into two teams.
- Give all kids a pair of Charlie’s glasses (paper glasses).
- Have each team choose one teammate to be the “magazine model” and stand five feet away from their team, facing the eGroup leader.
- Have both teams circle around the eGroup leader and show both teams a strike a pose card. The magazine models should not see the card. Give teams 10-20 seconds to study the card then turn the card over.
- Flip the sand timer over. Teams have 30 seconds to position their magazine model in the pose seen on the card.
- After 30 seconds, determine which team was able to strike the pose closest to the picture on the strike a pose card. Award the team a point.
- Have each team choose a different magazine model and play again.
- Continue until all strike a pose cards have been posed and determine the winning team!
STOP: TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
Take lesson plan and Bring It! Supply Pouch to Large Group!
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
THE BRING IT! CHALLENGE WILL BE COMPLETED IN LARGE GROUP.
OVERVIEW: During Finders 4: Golden Christmas kids will participate in the most exciting trading card challenge yet, The Finders: The Game! Kids can collect trading cards by attending Motion and use the cards to play The Game. Kids can collect fool’s gold pieces on their game boards for winning trading card games, bringing their Bibles, saying the series verse, and participating in Large Group games. Each week kids get one new Finders 4 trading card from the eGroup supply.
PER eGROUP: PART 2 CARD RELEASE POSTER, FOOL’S GOLD STICKER SHEET, WEEKLY ATTENDANCE TRADING CARDS, LOANER TRADING CARD BASE PACKS, LOANER GAME BOARDS
SAY: “Before we start playing The Game, I have a new game board sticker for your game board. This sticker has our series virtue, memory verse, and the new trading cards in Fool’s Gold Part 2.”
- Give each kid a Part 2 game board sticker to place on their game board.
- Review the information on the game board sticker, including series virtue, memory verse, and new trading cards.
- Review the prizes for each level using the information on the game board. Explain kids have to earn the level 1 prize before earning the level 2 prize, and earn the level 2 prize before earning the level 3 prize.
- Remind kids each week in Large Group they will have time to trade cards and play The Game and to bring back their cards every week so they can collect and trade.
- Tell kids they will receive a card each week for just attending Motion! Show the card release poster for cards being released during The Finders: Fool’s Gold Part 2. Give kids ONE attendance trading card. NOTE: Do not let them choose the card they would like. Randomly distribute one card to each child.
- Award kids with fool’s gold stickers on their game board for bringing their Bible, saying the series verse, and showing humility during eGroup. Remind kids they can earn more fool’s gold stickers for winning rounds of The Finders: The Game and winning Large Group games, too!
- Give VIPs/kids new to the series a game board to collect stickers on.
- Kids who forget their game boards can still collect fool’s gold stickers, but will not have a game board to place stickers on.
SAY: “Right now as the worship experience ends, you have time to play The Game and earn more fool’s gold stickers for your game board. Find a partner and let’s play!”
- Give kids who forget their trading cards or game boards loaner packs.
- Collect loaner trading card packs and loaner game boards from each kid before the kid leaves Motion.
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
VIPS & KIDS NEW TO THE SERIES
COMPLETE AFTER EXPLAINING BRING IT! IN THE PREVIOUS SECTION
GAME BOARD, PART 2 GAME BOARD STICKER, TRADING CARD BASE PACK, PLASTIC CARD CONTAINER, GOLD PIECE
- Give each kid a game board and Part 2 game board sticker to place on their game board. Have kids write their first and last name on their game board with a Sharpie marker.
- Review the information on the back of the game board, including series information and how to earn fool’s gold stickers and prizes.
- Give each kid a trading card base pack, plastic card container, and gold piece.
- Have kids partner up and play one game together, step by step:
- Tell kids they will be playing one game of the beginner’s version together. When they play later with their friends, they can choose to play the more advanced version with item cards and location cards in full effect.
- SAY: Lay out your game board, shuffle your cards, and place the cards face down on the DRAW space.
- SAY: Everyone turn over the top card of your deck. Do that now. The player who drew the higher power card gets to go second.
- SAY: Now, everyone draw 5 cards. If you are the player who is supposed to go first, give me a wave. OK, player 1, choose the two cards which have the highest power when added together and will lay those cards onto the ‘Card 1’ and ‘Card 2’ spaces. Player 2, play your two best cards, trying to play better cards than player 1. Everyone go ahead and do that now.
- SAY: Now determine who won that round. Everyone take the cards off of the ‘Card 1’ and ‘Card 2’ spaces and put those cards, along with the rest of your hand, on the DISCARD pile.
- SAY: Let’s begin the second round by everyone drawing five new cards and switching who goes first and second. Go ahead and play the second round of the game and we’ll see if someone can walk away with their first victory. Play the second round now.
- DO: Give kids time to play a second round.
- SAY: If you’re tied after two rounds, you and your opponent will play one final round to determine the victor. For the third round, whoever went second in the first game gets to go first again.
- Allow kids to find a new partner and continue to play The Game.
DO: Walk around Large Group and help kids play The Finders: The Game. Award game winners (first player to win two games) with a fool’s gold sticker for their game board.