eGROUP LESSON PLAN WEEK 5: JANUARY 30/31
I can put others first by making things right.
MEMORY VERSE: PHILIPPIANS 2:3 (NIV)
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
Jacob and Esau Reconcile Genesis 33:1-11
Engage is a time to welcome kids to your eGroup with a fun activity to help them feel comfortable and get to know each other.
DO: Start by introducing yourself and welcoming kids to the eGroup. Ask them about their week and interests. Kids have three options during Engage: to play The Finders: The Game or either version of Spot It: “Find It First.” For kids playing Spot It: “Find It First,” wait until you have five to six kids before beginning Spot It: “Find It First.”
THE FINDERS: THE GAME
NOTE: VIP’s and kids new to the series will receive their Bring It! supplies during the second half of large group, during Bring It! Encourage these kids to play Spot It: “Find It First” to allow them to get to know others in the eGroup. Kids who forget their game cards or game board can use a loaner pack of cards or loaner game board to play The Game during Engage.
LOANER TRADING CARD BASE PACKS, LOANER GAME BOARDS, FOOL’S GOLD STICKER SHEET
- Have kids find a partner and lay out their game boards, shuffle their cards, and put their cards on the DRAW space.
- Allow kids to play The Game. Help kids as needed.
- Award the winners of games a fool’s gold sticker.
SPOT IT: “FIND IT FIRST” EDITION
SPOT IT CARDS (1 FOOL’S GOLD CARD IN EACH DECK), “FIND IT FIRST” GAME SHEET
- Have players sit in a circle. Decide which version to play: Version 1 (the goal is for one player to collect the most cards) or Version 2 (the goal is for one player to have the least amount of cards).
- Use the “Find It First” game sheet for game play and instructions.
During this time introduce your eGroup to the series virtue and memory verse. Spend time teaching and practicing the memory verse.
BIBLE PENS, GOLD STICKY NOTES, MEMORY VERSE CARDS
SAY: “Welcome to eGroup! My name is _______ and I’m your eGroup leader! As an eGroup we will hang out together during Motion, hear stories from the Bible, learn what it means to live for Jesus, and play games!
This weekend is the last weekend of the Part 2 of Finders 4: Fool’s Gold! As The Finders continue their search for their nemesis, Goldman, they will need to learn the importance of humility and putting others first. Today we will learn we can show humility by putting others first by making things right.
The Bible tells us when we value others above ourselves, we are showing humility. Let’s memorize Philippians 2:3 to help us remember what the Bible says about humility and how we should live our lives.”
- Read the verse out loud:
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.
Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
1 Philippians 2:3 (NIV)
- Help kids look up the memory verse in their Bibles. Encourage children to use the Bible pens to highlight the verse in their Bible and a gold sticky note to mark the spot in their Bible. Give a memory verse card to kids who did not bring their Bibles.
- As time allows, practice the verse with your group. You can use the following methods to help kids learn the memory verse:
- REPEAT AFTER ME: Have kids repeat the words after you.
- PAIR UP: After practicing the verse as a group, have kids pair up to practice the verse.
- MOTIONS: Come up with motions to help remember the verse as a group. Practice it together.
- DROP A BEAT: Put the verse to a beat as you say it together. You can do this by clapping, patting your legs, stomping, or any combination to make a beat.
- Remind kids today is the last day to recite the memory verse to earn a piece of fool’s gold for their The Game game board.
CONNECT ACTIVITY: Kids will connect the idea of humility with the weekly Finders 4: Fool’s Gold episode and connect with each other.
FINDERS 4 CHARACTER CARDS (Hannah, Charlie, Goldman, Rosie, Dani, Zack, Caleb)
SAY: “Hannah and Charlie just barely escaped from the warehouse. They were so close to finding Goldman and because Charlie decided to make things right with her and the rest of The Finders, I bet they will find him in no time! And what is Less up to? He is supposed to be working for Charlie as her intern, but now I’m not too sure!”
- Review the characters in today’s episode of Finders 4: Fool’s Gold by displaying the seven Finders 4 character cards seen in the episode.
- Place the Hannah, Charlie, Goldman, Rosie, Dani, Zack, and Caleb cards in separate sections of the eGroup area.
- Have kids sit around the character cards of their favorite character from today’s episode.
- Once kids are sitting around the card have them introduce themselves to their group and share why this character is their favorite from episode seven of Finders 4: Fool’s Gold.
SAY: “I love learning more and more about these characters each week. Now that we have all had the chance to choose our favorite character from today’s episode, let’s talk about what happened!”
- Ask the following questions and have kids discuss in their groups. Share answers from different groups after each question.
- When did we see Charlie show humility in today’s episode? (She made things right with Hannah by admitting she needed help and then asked Hannah to help her.)
- Because Charlie chose to show humility and make things right, what happened? (Hannah and Charlie were able to work together to make it out of Goldman’s lair before it self-destructed.)
- How did Charlie make things right with the other Finders? (She apologized to the group for acting prideful.)
- Do you think Charlie learned the importance of humility? Why or why not?
- Collect the cards before moving on to the next activity.
JACOB AND ESAU RECONCILE | GENESIS 33:1-11
BIBLE STORY ACTIVITY: Kids will assimilate the story by piecing different parts of the story together.
BIBLES, ASSIMILATION SHEET, BLACK AND GOLD PAPER, WOOD STYLUS, LEADER SHEET, PYRITE POINT CLUE CARD, SCRIPTURE CARD
SAY: “Each week of Fool’s Gold we’ve been assimilating (assimilate means to to take in and understand) information in the Bible to learn what the Bible says. And each time we assimilate a Bible story, we earn clues to learn more about the mysterious Pyrite Point! Let’s assimilate this week’s Bible story to see how two angry brothers showed humility by making things right.”
- Have kids sit in a circle with their Bibles.
- Use the leader sheet to instruct kids where to turn in their Bibles to find and read Jesus’ words about humility. NOTE: This may take time, but it helps them learn skills for reading the Bible on their own.
- Kids who do not have a Bible will use the Scripture Card (back of the Memory Verse card) they received during the Memory Verse activity.
- Give each kid a piece of black and gold paper and a wood stylus. Have kids draw two lines to divide their paper into four sections. For each part of the Bible story you read to the kids, have them draw or write the appropriate response on their paper.
- What did Jacob do or say to show humility and make things right? (Jacob bowed down to his brother. His entire family also bowed down to Esau. Jacob also sent Esau a gift.)
- How did Esau respond to Jacob? (He ran to meet Jacob, hugged him, and received the gifts.)
- How did God make things right for us to live in Heaven with Him one day? (God sent Jesus to take the punishment for our sins. Jesus humbled Himself by dying on the cross for us.)
- If Jacob might not have shown humility to Esau, how might have this story been different? (The brothers may not have forgiven each other, there could have been a fight, and many people might have lost their lives.)
- After discussion, have kids put their black and gold paper on the Bible Story Box on the Assimilation Sheet. NOTE: Before heading to Large Group, return the black and gold paper to each kid.
SAY: “Great job! Now that we have assimilated our Bible story, we’ve earned our Pyrite Point clue card. (Place the card on the assimilation mat and read it aloud to the group.) Let’s learn more about humility and earn our next clue!”
DO: Place the Pyrite Point clue card card on the Clue 1 Box on the Assimilation Sheet.
MAKING THINGS RIGHT
DISCUSSION ACTIVITY: Kids will apply the lesson of humility to their own lives.
ASSIMILATION SHEET (FROM PREVIOUS ACTIVITY), TAP DANCING CARDS (2 SETS), PYRITE POINT CLUE CARD, CHOCOLATE COINS (2 PER KID)
SAY: “Making things right is not always easy. Jesus put us first by making things right so we need to make things right with others in our lives. Let’s talk about how we should put others first by making things right.”
- Divide your eGroup into two teams and give each team a set of tap dancing cards. Make sure each kid receives at least one tap dancing card; all cards must be used in the activity.
- Explain that just like Charlie had to tap dance to unlock the sound lock, kids will complete tap moves to unlock pieces of the Pyrite Point clue card. To unlock a piece of the clue card, kids will find their partner by completing the tap moves on their card. Their partner is the person on the other team completing the same tap moves.
- Kids can’t talk or show their card to others; they can only complete the tap steps on their card and watch as other kids complete their tap moves.
- As kids find their partner, award them one piece of the Pyrite Point clue card and encourage them to discuss the question on their clue card.
- Continue until all kids have found a partner and received a piece of the Pyrite Point clue card.
- As a group, discuss all eight questions from the back of the Pyrite Point clue cards. Encourage the entire group to discuss the question.
- After all eight questions have been discussed assimilate the Pyrite Point clue card pieces together on the Assimilation Sheet.
SAY: “Putting others first by making things right is not always easy, but it is the example Jesus set for us and how He wants us to live. Let’s assimilate our second Pyrite Point clue card to learn more about Pyrite Point and guess today’s flavor of Pyrite Point Penny Candy! (Have the group assimilate the Pyrite Point clue card pieces on the Clue 2 box on the Assimilation Sheet. Read the clues from each Pyrite Point clue card to the group and allow kids to respond.) Can you guess today’s type of candy? (Allow kids to respond.) That’s right, it’s a chocolate coin! Here are two pieces of Pyrite Point Penny Candy!”
DO: Pass out two pieces of Pyrite Point Penny Candy to each kid. Allow them to eat it. Make sure they clean up the eGroup area afterward!
HANNAH’S AMAZING MAZE
PRAYER AND GAME ACTIVITY: Prayer is an important way to share Jesus with passion. Spend time in prayer with your eGroup before beginning the game.
eKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL, PENS, MAZE GAME BOARD, GAME PIECES (8), DIE
SAY: “Before we begin our last activity, let’s pray together.”
DO: Take prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup kids during the week. Encourage kids to share one or two prayer requests. Invite kids to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, thank You for setting the example of how we should put others first. This week help us to make things right when we need to. Give us the courage to make things right, even when it’s hard. We love You. Amen.”
SAY: “In today’s Finders episode, Hannah and Charlie had to figure out how to escape from the costume shop safely. Charlie told Hannah she needed her help to figure out the traps Goldman had set for them. Hannah used her gymnastics skills to maneuver through the laser beam maze to unlock the door of the shop. In today’s game let’s see if you maneuver through Hannah’s laser maze!”
- Have the eGroup form teams of two and have each team choose a game piece. Place all game pieces on the “START” line of the maze game board.
- Teams will take turns rolling the die and moving their game piece. Teams cannot move their game piece in a spot on the game board another team’s game piece is in.
MOVE FORWARD 1 SPACE
MOVE FOWARD 1 SPACE AND SEND ANOTHER TEAM BACK TWO SPAES
MOVE FORWARD 2 SPACES
MOVE BACK TO START
MOVE BACKWARD 3 SPACES
SWITCH SPOTS WITH
- The first team to make it to the “FINISH” has maneuvered through the laser beam maze and wins!
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
OVERVIEW: During Finders 4: Fool’s Gold kids will participate in the most exciting trading card challenge yet, The Finders: The Game! Kids can collect trading cards by attending Motion and use the cards to play The Game. Kids can collect fool’s gold pieces on their game boards for winning trading card games, bringing their Bibles, saying the series verse, and participating in Large Group games. Each week kids get one new Finders 4 trading card from the eGroup supply.
PER eGROUP: PART 2 CARD RELEASE POSTER, FOOL’S GOLD STICKER SHEET, WEEKLY ATTENDANCE TRADING CARDS, LOANER TRADING CARD BASE PACKS, LOANER GAME BOARDS
SAY: “Today is the last weekend to collect cards, earn fool’s gold pieces, and play The Game! Some of you have been collecting awesome trading cards and playing The Game and for some of you this is your first time here. But whether you have one or 20 cards, after this weekend make sure you keep your cards in a safe place because you’ll need them for Finders 5 starting in a few months! Before we start playing The Game, let’s review the Bring It! Challenge and award prizes you have earned for winning games!”
- Review the prizes for each level using the information on the game board. Explain kids have to earn the level 1 prize before earning the level 2 prize, and earn the level 2 prize before earning the level 3 prize.
- Give kids ONE attendance trading card. NOTE: Do not let them choose the card they would like. Randomly distribute one card to each child.
- Award kids with fool’s gold stickers on their game board for bringing their Bible or saying the series verse. Remind kids they can earn more fool’s gold stickers for winning rounds of The Finders: The Game.
- Give VIPs/kids new to the series a game board to collect stickers on.
- Kids who forget their game boards can still collect fool’s gold stickers, but will not have a game board to place stickers on.
- Award the Secret Hangar bonus location card to kids who have collected ALL SEVEN Part 2 cards (Goldman, Checkmate, Sound Lock, Less, Charlie, Citizens of Pyrite Point, and Pyrite Point).
SAY: “Right now as the worship experience ends, you have time to play The Game and earn more fool’s gold stickers for your game board. Find a partner and let’s play!”
- Give kids who forget their trading cards or game boards loaner packs.
- Collect loaner trading card packs and loaner game boards from each kid before the kid leaves Motion.
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
COMPLETE AFTER EXPLAINING BRING IT! ON PAGE 7
GAME BOARD, PART 2 GAME BOARD STICKER, TRADING CARD BASE PACK, PLASTIC CARD CONTAINER, GOLD PIECE
- Give each kid a game board and Part 2 game board sticker to place on their game board. Have kids write their first and last name on their game board with a Sharpie marker.
- Review the information on the back of the game board, including series information and how to earn fool’s gold stickers and prizes.
- Give each kid a trading card base pack, plastic card container, and gold piece.
- Have kids partner up and play one game together, step by step:
- Tell kids they will be playing one game of the beginner’s version together. When they play later with their friends, they can choose to play the more advanced version with item cards and location cards in full effect.
- SAY: Lay out your game board, shuffle your cards, and place the cards face down on the DRAW space.
- SAY: Everyone turn over the top card of your deck. Do that now. The player who drew the higher power card gets to go second.
- SAY: Now, everyone draw 5 cards. If you are the player who is supposed to go first, give me a wave. OK, player 1, choose the two cards which have the highest power when added together and will lay those cards onto the ‘Card 1’ and ‘Card 2’ spaces. Player 2, play your two best cards, trying to play better cards than player 1. Everyone go ahead and do that now.
- SAY: Now determine who won that round. Everyone take the cards off of the ‘Card 1’ and ‘Card 2’ spaces and put those cards, along with the rest of your hand, on the DISCARD pile.
- SAY: Let’s begin the second round by everyone drawing five new cards and switching who goes first and second. Go ahead and play the second round of the game and we’ll see if someone can walk away with their first victory. Play the second round now.
- DO: Give kids time to play a second round.
- SAY: If you’re tied after two rounds, you and your opponent will play one final round to determine the victor. For the third round, whoever went second in the first game gets to go first again.
- Allow kids to find a new partner and continue to play The Game.
DO: Walk around Large Group and help kids play The Finders: The Game. Award game winners (first player to win two games) with a fool’s gold sticker for their game board.