FIND3RS: The Mask of Monodios
Sticking with what you started even when it gets tough.
I can stick with it because I have a mission.
MEMORY VERSE: GALATIANS 6:9 (NIV)
Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Back On The Ship
ENGAGE starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins.
Engage is a time to welcome kids to your eGroup with a fun activity to help them feel comfortable and get to know each other. Start by introducing yourself and welcoming kids to the eGroup. Ask them about their week and interests. Once you have five to six kids begin the Engage activity.
STICK WITH IT
STICKS (2 SETS PER eGROUP)
SAY: “This series we are learning about endurance. Endurance is sticking with what you start even when it gets tough. Let’s test our endurance with this week’s version of Stick With It!”
- The object of the game is to pick up the most sticks from the pile of sticks.
- Have kids play in groups of no larger than eight. For large eGroups, start a second game with the second set of sticks.
- Give each group a set of sticks and a pair of chopsticks.
- To begin the game, pile the sticks on top of each other so they overlap. The more tangled the sticks, the more difficult the game will be.
- Kids will take turns trying to remove a stick from the pile using only the chopsticks.
- If another stick moves while attempting to remove a stick from the pile, the group yells “STICK WITH IT!”
- The kid gets a second chance to remove a stick.
- If on the first or second try the kid successfully removes a stick without moving another, he or she keeps the stick.
- If on the second try a stick moves while attempting to remove a stick, the kid loses their turn and the next kid takes a turn.
- The game is over when the last stick is removed.
- The winner is the kid with the highest number of sticks picked up during the game.
- Play again as time allows.
- Set an expectation for the use of the chopsticks. They are only to be used to play the game.
ONCE THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS (5:00, 9:30, 11:30)
Connect is a time for kids to connect with their eGroup leader. Participate and have fun with your eGroup. Learn the names of your eGroup kids and try to learn something about each one. Let them learn about you!
SAY: “Welcome to eGroup! My name is _______ and I’m your eGroup leader! As an eGroup we will hang out together during Motion, hear stories from the Bible, talk about what it means to live for Jesus, and play games!
This is the third weekend of FIND3RS. Through the Finders new mystery we’ll learn a lot about endurance, sticking with what you started even when it gets tough. Before we talk more about the series and what we’ll learn today, let’s get to know each other.”
- Have kids choose a stick from the pile. eGroup Leaders should choose a stick, too.
- Have everyone form groups by color of sticks (all red sticks together, all green sticks together, etc.).
- Once group are formed have them introduce themselves and answer a question from below.
- Collect all the sticks and repeat by having kids choose a different stick and form groups by color again. Collect sticks from kids before moving on.
GET TO KNOW YOU QUESTIONS:
- What job do you want to have when you are older?
- What is something you want to learn how to do?
- What country would you like to visit one day?
SAY: “The questions you just answered are goals you may have. Goals are things you want to accomplish like what you want to be when you grow up. You may even call it a mission. We have all types of missions throughout our lives. When we have a mission to accomplish, even when things are tough, we can’t give up! Today we will learn, I can stick with it because I have a mission.”
DO, AS TIME ALLOWS: Have kids sit in a circle. Ask a question and have kids share their response.
- What does mission mean? (An important job you want to carry out to the end.)
- What is a mission you have at school? (listen to your teacher, learn new things, get good grades)
- Do you have a hobby or play a sport? What is your mission for the hobby you have/sport you play? (increase your home run record, learn to do a back handspring, learn to paint with watercolors)
TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
BRING IT! CHALLENGE
OVERVIEW: During FIND3RS, kids will collect trading cards! Kids will earn three cards for attending Motion each week and earn prizes for collecting different combinations of cards. Kids will have time to trade cards during Large Group. The will be a Robber Rule in eGroup. If you see cards out during eGroup, you get to collect from the child who has their cards out at the wrong time to add to your collection.
RULES CARD, TRADING CARD RELEASE POSTER, TRADING CARD PRIZE POSTER, FIND3RS ARTIFACT FILE, SHARPIE, MEMORY VERSE CARD
SAY: “With a new Finders series brings a whole new set of Finders trading cards! You’ll receive three cards each week just for attending Motion. You’ll get today’s pack on the way back to Large Group!”
- Go over trading card rules and give VIP and kids new to series a rules card.
- Go over card release dates using the Trading Card Release Poster.
- Go over prizes for different combinations using the Trading Card Prize Poster. EXPLAIN kids can only get all of the prizes if they collect ALL of the cards. Otherwise they can only choose one prize based on the combination of cards they have collected.
- Tell the kids they’ll have time to trade in Large Group and to bring back their cards every week so they can collect and trade.
- Explain the ROBBER RULE. Cards can only be out during Bring It! and card trading time in Large Group. If you see them out an any other time, you get to take a card from their collection.
SAY: “All great finders collect their findings and discoveries. This series, you’ll collect your cards and findings about endurance during eGroup using this FIND3RS Artifact File! Who brought theirs back? (Celebrate the kids who brought them back.) If it’s your first weekend during the series, I’ll give you a FIND3RS Artifact File right now! Make sure to bring your FIND3RS Artifact File back to Motion every weekend of the series.”
DO: Pass out FIND3RS Artifact Files to VIP kids and kids new to series. Have kids write their names on their FIND3RS Artifact File with a sharpie.
SAY: “I have one more Bring It! prize to tell you about. If you say the series memory verse the last week of the series, June 6/7, you will earn the memory verse prize. Our verse this series is Galatians 6:9. It reminds us to not give up when things get tough, because the hard work is worth it when we accomplish our goal! Let’s practice!” Have kids repeat the words and motions after you. Then give VIP kids and kids new to series a memory verse card to practice at home.
Let us not become weary (wave pointer finger back and forth) in doing good, (thumbs up)
for at the proper time (point to wrist) we will reap a harvest (hold arms out)
if we do not give up. (point up) Galatians 6:9 (hold up six, then nine fingers)
PAUL’S MISSION | BACK ON THE SHIP
ACTS 27:1-28:30 | ACTS 28:11
BIBLES, eGROUP TIME LINE, BIBLE STORY ARTIFACT (SHIP), FIND3RS ARTIFACT FILE
SAY: “In today’s episode the mask has gone missing! Who do you think took it? (Allow kids to respond.) The Finders had a mission to help Dani’s dad, but now that the mask is missing, their mission has a whole new meaning!
Who remembers Paul’s mission? (Allow kids to respond.) Wherever he went, he wanted to tell as many people as he could about Jesus. He didn’t give up when things didn’t go his way (point out snake sticker on timeline). After being shipwrecked and bitten by a poisonous snake, he chose to stick with it because it was worth it when he led others to believe in Jesus (point to believers sticker on timeline.) Let’s open up our Bibles to Acts 28:11 to see how Paul stuck with his mission.”
- Help kids find Acts 28:11 in their Bible.
- NOTE: This may take time but it helps kids learn skills for reading the Bible on their own.
- Read Acts 28:11 from the Bible. Kids can read along in their Bibles.
SAY: “Paul could have been afraid to get back on the ship after all he had been through. But because Paul had a mission to teach others about Jesus, he chose to stick with it and get back on the ship to Rome. The Bible tells us in Acts 28:31, once Paul reached Rome, for two years he didn’t let anything stop him from teaching people about Jesus!”
DO: Put the Bible story artifact sticker on the eGroup timeline in the week 3 spot.
SAY: “During this series we’re collecting artifacts to help us remember how we can stick with it even when things get tough. Here is our Bible story artifact (ship). How does this artifact remind us of his endurance? (Allow kids to respond.) Paul got back on the ship and chose to stick with it because he had a mission to tell others about Jesus.
Everyone, get our your FIND3RS Artifact File so you can collect your Bible story artifact. Put the artifact on the outside of your FIND3RS Artifact File.”
DO: Give kids the Bible story artifact sticker to put on the outside of their FIND3RS Artifact File. If kids forgot to bring back their FIND3RS Artifact File have them put the artifact sticker on their shirt.
PLASTIC BINGO CHIPS (50 PER eGROUP), ENDURANCE ARTIFACT STICKERS (TARGET), FIND3RS ARTIFACT FILE
SAY: “You can have endurance in your life, too. You can stick with it because you have missions of your own. A mission is an important job you want to carry out to the end! If you want to see your mission accomplished you have to keep going when things get tough. If you give up, you’ll miss out on your mission.”
- Split kids into teams of four.
- Ask the discussion questions below. For each question allow all teams to answer as many times as they want.
- Every time someone on a team participates in discussion give the team a token (bingo chip).
- Encourage them to get as many tokens as possible by explaining they will use the tokens in the next game. The more tokens they have the more chance they have of winning the game.
- What’s something (a mission) you’ve started recently? (Studying for a test. Practicing for a recital. Getting ready for a big game. Learning more about following Jesus from the Bible.)
- What are some things that get in the way of your mission? (Feeling discouraged when you aren’t successful at first., Feeling tired. Feeling like you can’t do it on your own.)
- How can you stick with your mission when things get tough? (Don’t give up. Don’t make excuses. Take one step at a time. Pray. Remember Paul’s endurance. Have the right people around you to support you.)
SAY: “Things get in the way and distract you from your mission, but it’s important to keep your eye on the target! Keep trying and don’t give up! Stick with your mission! You’ve earned your endurance artifact for today! This artifact can remind you to stick with it because you have a mission!”
DO: Give kids the endurance artifact sticker. Have them place it on the outside of their FIND3RS Artifact File. If kids forgot to bring back their FIND3RS Artifact File have them put the artifact sticker on their shirt.
WORTH THE WORK
PRAYER AND GAME ACTIVITY
eKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL, TOKENS (EARNED IN DISCUSSION ACTIVITY), TARGET (1 PER eGROUP), STRETCHY FLYING TOYS, GAME ARTIFACT (STICK “WITH IT”), FIND3RS ARTIFACT FILE
SAY: “Before we begin our last activity, let’s pray together.”
DO: Take prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup kids during the week. Encourage kids to share one or two prayer requests. Invite kids to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, we have learned a lot about endurance from Paul’s story in the Bible. Just like Paul, help us to remember our mission and not give up. We love You! In Jesus’ name, amen.”
SAY: “The mission for your team during the game today is to score as many points as possible. To score points you’ll have to get Paul back on the ship by slinging these stretchy flying toys at the ship target! You’ll send up one person from your team at a time to take a shot. In order to take a shot, you’ll have to give me one of your team’s tokens. For every one of these stretchy flying toys you land on the ship target, you earn a point for your team. It may be hard at first but remember to stick with it!”
- Kids will play in the teams formed during discussion time.
- The goal is to score the most points by landing the stretchy flying toy on the ship target.
- Have teams send up one teammate and have them stand five feet away from the target. (For each round have a different teammate take a turn.)
- Teams will trade in tokens earned during discussion for a chance to sling the stretch flying toy at the ship target. Kids should only sling the stretchy flying toys at the target.
- Each part of the ship target has a different point value. Keep track of how many points each team scores.
- The team with the most points after all tokens have been redeemed wins the game!
- Play again if time allows. Award tokens for kids who can say the virtue, today’s main point, or series memory verse. Play with one of the following rules: sling with eyes closed, turn around and sling over your shoulder, sling with one finger, sling laying on back.
SAY: “Great job sticking with it! Here’s your game artifact sticker! Remember to stick with what you start because you have a mission.”
DO: Give kids a game artifact sticker to put on the outside of their FIND3RS Artifact File. If kids forgot to bring back their FIND3RS Artifact File have them put the artifact sticker on their shirt.