Do What’s Right, No Matter What!
MEMORY VERSE: PSALM 107:1 (NIV)
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever.
Daniel and the Lion’s Den
ENGAGE starts 20 minutes before the worship experience begins.
Engage is a time to welcome kids to your eGroup with a fun activity to help them feel comfortable and get to know each other. Start by introducing yourself and welcoming kids to the eGroup. Ask them about their week and interests. Once you have five to six kids begin the Engage activity.
PICTURE THIS CARDS, WHITEBOARDS (2), DRY ERASE MARKERS (2), ERASERS (2)
- As kids come into eGroup split them into two teams.
- Once you have 3-4 kids on each team, begin the game.
- The goal of the game is to earn the most points by being the first team to correctly guess what teammates are drawing on their whiteboards.
- For each round send one kid up from each team.
- Show both kids a Picture This card.
- When you say, “Go,” the kids draw what they saw on the card on their team whiteboard.
- The first team to team correctly guess what is being drawn wins the point for the round.
- The team with the most points at the end of the game wins!
ONCE THE WORSHIP EXPERIENCE BEGINS (5:00, 9:30, 11:30)
Connect is a time for kids to connect with their eGroup leader. Participate and have fun with your eGroup. Learn the names of your eGroup kids and try to learn something about each one. Let them learn about you!
WHITE BOARD (1), DRY ERASE MARKER (1), ERASER (1)
SAY: “Welcome to eGroup! My name is _______ and I’m your eGroup leader! As an eGroup we will hang out together during Motion, hear stories from the Bible, play games, and learn what it means to live for Jesus!Today we are going to learn about doing the right thing, no matter what. Before we learn more, let’s get to know each other.”
- Have kids sit in a circle.
- Kids will take turns using the whiteboard and dry erase marker.
- For each kid’s turn they will say their name and take 10-15 seconds to draw their favorite food.
- The rest of the group has three chances to guess what the kid’s favorite food is. After three incorrect guesses the kid can tell the group what his/her favorite food is.
- When each kid is finished they will pass the whiteboard and dry erase marker to the left.
- Make sure you take a turn so kids can get to know you!
STOP: TRANSITION TO LARGE GROUP
DANIEL AND THE LION’S DEN
SAY: “Daniel made a choice to continue to pray even though it meant being thrown into the lion’s den. What happened to Daniel after he was thrown in the lion’s den? Let’s go to our SUPERBOOK, the Bible, and read what happened next. Open your Bible to Daniel 6:16.”
- Help kids find Daniel 6:16 in their Bibles. NOTE: This may take time but it helps kids learn important skills for reading the Bible on their own.
- Read Daniel 6:16-23 from the Bible. Kids can read along in their Bibles.
- Daniel had to choose between praying to God or praying to King Darius. What would have happened had he chosen to pray to the King?
- Daniel chose to pray to God and was thrown into the lion’s den. Was it the right thing to do? Why?
- Daniel chose to honor God and do what was right, no matter what. How did God reward Daniel for doing what was right? (Saved him from the lions.)
MAKE A CHOICE
DISCUSSION AND PRAYER
SCENARIO SHEET, DIE (1 PER eGROUP), WHITE BOARDS (2), DRY ERASE MARKERS (2), ERASERS (2), eKIDZ PRAYER JOURNAL, PEN
SAY: “Jesus did what was right, no matter what. He never did anything wrong and lived in a way which pleased God His whole life. As Christians we should want to do our best to live like Jesus lived. Our lives are not perfect like His, but doing what’s right no matter what starts with a choice. When faced with what is right and what is not, we should choose to do what is right and honoring to God, no matter what happens. Let’s play a game of choices. It will be up to you and your team to make the choice which honors God and what He wants for our lives.”
- The goal of the game is to earn the most points by making the choice which honors God in each scenario.
- Split the group into two teams. Have the teams sit on opposite sides of the eGroup area.
- Give each team a white board and dry erase marker.
- Read the first scenario from the scenario sheet. The scenario will have a list of choices, A-D.
- Teams must discuss what choices honor God even if the outcome is not what they would want. Give teams one minute to decide. You can join the conversation to help them think through what would happen with each choice. Do not tell them the answer.
- On your signal the teams will write down the letter of the choice they would make. When you say, “Do what’s right, no matter what!” teams will display their answer for you to see.
- If teams have the correct answer they must explain why it is the right choice.
- Teams with the correct answer will get to roll the die. The number on the die is the number of points the team earns for making the right choice. No matter if they earn one point or six points, they should choose to do what’s right, no matter what.
- The team with the most points at the end of the game wins.
DO: Before heading back to Large Group, take prayer requests and write them down in your eKidz prayer journal so you can pray for your eGroup kids during the week. Encourage kids to share one or two prayer requests. Invite kids to pray with you if they want.
SUGGESTED PRAYER: “Dear God, when I have a choice between doing what is right and what is wrong, I want to choose to do what is right. Help me to choose Your way, not mine. We love You! In Jesus’ name, amen.”