The Big Give
Main Idea: God gave us Jesus
Bible Story: Jesus is born
Bible Passage: Luke 2:1-18
“Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds,
and to be generous and willing to share.”
– 1 Timothy 6:18, NIV
THE BIG RACE
WHAT YOU NEED: giant game board, Christmas game pieces (16), game cards (32), die (1), green cards (12), yellow cards (12)
WHAT YOU DO:
- Start by introducing yourself and welcoming kids to your eGroup. Ask them about their week and interests. Use the following questions to generate discussion:
- What’s something cool that happened this week?
- What was the best part of your week?
- Have you ________ (seen/eaten/listened to/read) any good _________ (movies/TV shows/food/music/books) lately?
- What are you looking forward to next week?
Once you have five to six kids begin “The Big Race.”
- Spread the giant game board across the center of the eGroup space. Give each kid a Christmas game piece and tell them to place their game piece on any one of the starting spaces (a space with a Motion gear on it).
- Shuffle the game cards. Give one game card to each kid.
- Kids may not switch starting spaces after game cards have been given.
- Explain the game cards feature something they might see around Elevation. Kids will race to get to the spot on the game board showing the same Elevation icon as the one on their game card. The first kid to reach the space with their Elevation icon wins!
- Roll the die. All kids will move that many spaces on the game board from their starting space toward the Elevation icon shown on their game card.
- Kids may move horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.
- Kids may only enter an icon space through the semi-circle entry points. Kids are allowed to use one move to enter an icon space through one door and another move to exit the icon space through the other door.
- If kids land on a green space, they can choose if they want to take a green card. Green cards could be a bonus for themselves OR a bonus for another player.
- If kids land on a yellow space, they can choose if they want to take a yellow card. Yellow cards could be a bonus for themselves OR a penalty for themselves.
- Repeat until one kid reaches the icon shown on their game card. This kid is the winner!
- Play again if time allows.
BIBLE STORY CONCENTRATION
WHAT YOU NEED: concentration cards (16), question card (1)
WHAT YOU SAY:
“Merry Christmas! I’m so glad you are here to celebrate with me at church! Welcome to eGroup! My name is _______ and I’m your eGroup leader! As an eGroup we will hang out together during Motion, hear stories from the Bible, learn what it means to live for Jesus, and play games!
We’re in series called The Big Give where we’re learning about being generous. Let’s dig into God’s Word together and read about God’s gift to us, Jesus.”
WHAT YOU DO:
- Have kids sit in a circle with their Bibles and instruct kids to turn to Luke 2. NOTE: This may take time, but it helps kids learn skills for reading the Bible on their own. If needed, encourage kids to use the table of contents in their Bible and then decide if the book is in the Old or New Testament.
- Read Luke 2:1-18 aloud.
- Divide the group into four teams.
- While laying out the concentration cards face-down in a 4×4 grid on the floor, explain kids will have to find the answers to Bible story questions on the concentration cards.
- After hearing a question, teams will take turns turning over one concentration card and reading it aloud to the group.
- If the card they turn over answers the question correctly, they can keep the card. If not, they will turn it back face-down in the same place they found it.
- Remind kids to pay close attention to the cards other teams turn over so they can remember where those answers are later when they need them!
- Read the first question aloud. Tell the first team to turn over one of the concentration cards and read the answer aloud. If it answers the question correctly, the team can keep it. If it doesn’t, they should put it back where they found it and let the next team turn over a concentration card. Repeat until the correct answer is found.
- Repeat for each of the remaining questions. The team with the most cards after all questions have been answered wins!
WHAT YOU SAY:
“God gave us the greatest gift of all, His son Jesus. On Christmas morning, let’s remember that no matter what we get under the tree, God gave us Jesus, and that’s the most amazing gift of all. Let’s go to Large Group and hear more about the gift of salvation we receive through Jesus.”
THE BIGGEST GIVE
WHAT YOU NEED: The Biggest Give “I Spy” page (1 per kid), pens, markers
WHAT YOU DO:
- Divide kids into four teams.
- Pass out the “I Spy” page and pens.
- Have kids race to spy the following:
- 6 tiny presents
- 9 emoji faces with antlers
- 15 Christmas trees
- The first team to have all members spy the correct emojis is the winner.
- Take up the pens and pass out markers.
- Read the discussion directions and have kids circle the corresponding emoji on their “I Spy” page.
- Find the picture of the eye rolling emoji and draw a circle around it. (Wait for kids to find it.) We all do wrong things, like being disrespectful to our parents or saying unkind things. These wrong things are called sins.
- Find the picture of the sad emoji and draw a square around it. (Wait for kids to find it.) Sin separates us from God. He is perfect and good, and as long as we are stuck in our sin, we can’t be with God. It makes God sad to be separated from us.
- Find the picture of the baby emoji and draw a heart around it. (Wait for kids to find it.) God came up with a plan for sinners like us to be able to be in Heaven with Him! It started with Him sending His Son, Jesus, to Earth as a baby.
- Find the picture of the cross and draw a star around it. (Wait for kids to find it.) Jesus lived a perfect life. He never sinned. He took all of our punishment by dying on a cross. Because of His sacrifice we can be forgiven of our sins. We can be close to God and Jesus forever in Heaven.
- How do you ask Jesus to be your Savior? (Pray to Him. Admit you sin. Ask for forgiveness. Tell Him you believe in Him and everything He did for you when He died on the cross. Choose to live your life for Him.)
WHAT YOU SAY:
“If you want to know more about asking Jesus to be your Savior, you’ll have a chance when we go back to Large Group. Remember, God gave us Jesus. That is the biggest give of all! You can share this amazing gift with others when you tell them about Jesus, how He was born, and how He died for them.”
JOURNAL AND PRAYER
Head to Large Group after this activity.
WHAT YOU NEED: eKidz Prayer Journal (or eKidz Prayer Journal page), pen
WHAT YOU SAY:
“Today we learned about the biggest give of all, when God sent Jesus to Earth as a baby. We can be generous and share this good news with others! When you choose to seek out opportunities to be generous, you can see God do great things through you!
Who will you tell about Jesus this week? I’m going to write your name and what you share in our eKidz Prayer Journal. This week I will pray for you.”
WHAT YOU DO:
Write down what kids share in your eKidz Prayer Journal. Take your eKidz Prayer Journal home with you and pray for your kids throughout the week.
“God, thank You for giving us the most amazing gift we could ever imagine— Your Son. Please help us to never forget You gave us Jesus. This Christmas, remind us the only thing that matters is the lasting gift of knowing You. Thank You, Jesus, for coming to save us. We love You. In Jesus’ name, amen.”