Want to know what we’re learning in eKidz this week? In eKidz Online, we’re learning about influence, and how we can be a good example by following God’s authority. In our Quest lesson, we’ll learn that we are so important to God, He sent us Jesus, and our Safari toddlers will play a game to help them remember that they can pray to God!
Do you value authority? ● Matthew 5:14-16
As a family, discuss a few questions together after your child watches this week’s episode.
Question #1: What does it mean to value something? Why can it be hard to value authority sometimes?
Question #2: Read Matthew 5:14-16. What is the whole point of being a good example by following God’s authority? (HINT: Check out the last sentence of the verse.)
Question #3: What do you have authority over? How do you think you can be given more trust and authority?
Set a good example.
Here are a few examples of how you can do that:
- Be polite. Say, “Please, thank you,” or, “you’re welcome.”
- When talking to an adult or an authority figure, “Yes sir,” or, “Yes ma’am.”
- When someone asks you to do something, do it right away! Don’t procrastinate or make excuses, just do it.
- Do all of your chores, even the ones you haven’t been asked to do yet.
- With your friends, don’t give in to the temptations to do the wrong things or to talk bad about someone else.
Stay committed to setting that good example. When people see you doing the right thing, they’ll be more likely to do the right thing, too. And that’s what setting a good example is all about! It’s following Paul’s advice when he said, “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.”
God made me to talk to Him anytime, anywhere, about anything. ● I Can Pray to God I Jeremiah 29:12; Matthew 6:5-13
This month, we’ll teach our preschoolers that they are wonderfully made in God’s image! Do you ever think about yourself like that — that you are wonderfully made in God’s image? We tend to forget about all the wonder that went into making us as we become grown-ups. It’s part of the reason why people have to ask us to “say cheese” when they take our picture. If we really believed that we are wonderfully made in God’s image, we would be smiling from ear-to-ear all day long! That is what we want for preschoolers — to smile with confidence, because they know God made them.
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
Question #1: Does God want us to talk to Him anytime or just when we’re at church? (anytime)
Question #2: Can you pray to God about anything? (yes)
Question #3: When we pray and talk to God, does He hear us? (yes)
Family Activity: All the Feels
WHAT YOU NEED: activity page, scissors
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Print the activity page and cut out the cards. Explain your family will take turns choosing a card and acting out the emotion on the card. The other person will try to guess the emotion.
- WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the Activity: “Let’s play a game! We’ll take turns choosing one of these cards. (Hold up the cards.) There will be a face on the card. It could be a happy face (show happy emoji) or a sad face (show sad emoji) or even an angry face (show angry emoji). When you see the picture on your card, act it out by making the same face. We’ll try to guess what you’re feeling. Okay, let’s play!”
- During the Activity: (After you or your child acts out an emoji card) “Can we talk to God when we’re [emotion from the card]? Yes! We can talk to God anytime, anywhere, about anything!”
- After the Activity: “God wants to talk to you because He made you. Who made you?” (God made me.)
This month, we’re learning, “I can pray to God.” We will learn the story, “Daniel Prays to God,” in Daniel 6. When the king made a new rule, Daniel knew it was wrong and continued obeying God by praying to Him. Because Daniel didn’t follow the king’s rule, he was thrown into a den with lions, but God protected him. Just like Daniel, we can pray and talk to God, too!
Choose an activity to complete with your toddler to learn that we can love like Jesus!
Bible Story Activity
WHAT YOU NEED: Bible (Use a children’s Bible if you have one or download the Bible App for Kids and watch “A Roaring Rescue.”)
WHAT YOU SAY: “I love reading the Bible and spending time with Jesus. Let’s read our Bible story together right now!”
WHAT YOU DO: Read “Daniel Prays to God” — Daniel 6 from the Bible.
Game Activity: Anything
WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the activity: “We can pray and talk to God anytime, anywhere, and about anything. Let’s play a fun game to help us remember that we can pray to God!”
- During the activity: “I see [items] in this room! Can you please get a/an [item] and bring it back to me? (Pause.) Nice work! (Continue with other items.) Awesome! We have so many things around us. Now please go and choose ANYTHING you like and bring it back to me.”
- After the activity: “Way to go! Today, we learned that we can pray and talk to God, just like Daniel did. We can talk to God about ANYTHING! You can talk to Him about how you’re feeling or what you’re thankful for — you can even pray to ask Him for help. Who can pray to God?” (I can pray to God.)
WHAT YOU DO:
- During the activity: Ask your child to get an item (e.g., toy, block, shoe, etc.) and bring it to you. Then choose another item nearby for your child to get and bring back to you. Repeat a few times, then ask your child to find ANYTHING and bring it back to you.