Main point: When you love like Jesus, you will be a light.
Bible story: Light of the World ● Matthew 5:14-16
As a family, watch this week’s video and discuss these questions together:
- In today’s Bible story, who was talking to a crowd of people? (Jesus)
- Was the crowd big or small? (big)
- Did Jesus tell them to go and love people? (yes)
- When we love others, is it like we’re shining a light? (yes)
- When we don’t love others, are we still a light to them? (no)
- How can we love like Jesus? (sharing, being kind, helping others)
- Can you be a light and love like Jesus? (yes)
Family Activity: Shine Your Light
WHAT YOU NEED: Activity page, scissors, and a flashlight
WHAT YOU DO:
- During the Activity: Print off the activity page and cut out each card by cutting along the lines. Give your child a flashlight and show them how to turn it on and off. Then read the cards one at a time. If the action is an example of how to love like Jesus, your child will shine their light. If the action is not loving like Jesus, they will not shine their light.
- After the Activity: Talk about how when we love like Jesus, it’s like we shine light everywhere we go.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the Activity: “We’re going to play a game with light! (Give your child a flashlight.) This is how you make your light shine. (Demonstrate.) Got it? Good! Let’s play!”
- During the Activity: “In our Bible story, we learned that when we love others the way Jesus loves us, it’s like we shine a light everywhere we go. That light tells people that Jesus loves them and He wants to be their friend forever. I will read these game cards (hold up cards). If what I read is a way we can love like Jesus, I want you to make your light shine. If it’s not how we love like Jesus, then make sure your light is off. Let’s play! (Read the game cards. If the children are having fun and want to continue playing, mix the cards up and go through them again or create your own scenarios.)
- After the Activity: “Jesus told us that the most important thing for us to do is love others the way He loves us. When we love others the way Jesus loves us, we shine our light. That light tells people that Jesus loves them and He wants to be their friend forever! Who can love like Jesus?” (I can love like Jesus.)