Main Point: The wise men come to see God’s Son.
Bible Story: Wise Men ● Matthew 2:1-2, 9-11
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
Question #1: Who was today’s Bible story about? (the wise men, Jesus)
Question #2: What happened in today’s Bible story? (God put a special star in the sky, and there were some wise men who saw it. They knew God had put the star there to help them find Jesus, so they followed it. The star led them to Jesus! When they found Jesus, they brought Him gifts and worshiped Him.)
Question #3: The wise men worshiped Jesus and brought Him gifts because they knew He is special. Why is Jesus special? (Jesus is God’s Son.)
Family Activity: Christmas Cookie Match
WHAT YOU NEED: Activity pages and scissors
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Print off the activity pages and cut them apart.
- During the Activity: Mix up the cards and lay them facedown in a grid pattern. Allow your child to turn over two cards to find a match. When they find a set of matching cards, review that part of the Christmas story using the dialogue below.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the Activity: “Let’s play a memory game. On each of these cards is a cookie. These cookies help us remember the Christmas story! One at a time, you’ll turn over two cards to try to find two matching cookies. If you find a match, great! If not, turn the cards back over and try again.”
- During the Activity:
- Angel: “You found the angel cookie! An angel appeared to Mary with a very special message. Mary would have a baby and name Him Jesus.”
- Gingerbread man: “There’s the gingerbread man! This reminds us that God promised to send His only Son to us!”
- Candy cane: “This candy cane cookie looks like a shepherd’s staff. An angel appeared to the shepherds and told them Jesus had been born. The shepherds rushed off to see this very special baby.”
- Star: “And here’s a star! Wise men followed a star to find Jesus and give Him gifts!”
- After the Activity: “You found all the matches! Way to go! These cookie shapes help us remember the story of Christmas, the day Jesus was born! God loved us so much that He gave us His only Son. Why is Jesus special?” (Jesus is God’s Son.)