Main point: Jesus shows us we can trust God.
Bible story: Peter Walks on Water ● Matthew 14:22-33
As a family, watch this week’s video and discuss these questions together:
- Was Jesus’ good friend in today’s Bible story named Peter or Percy? (Peter)
- Where were Peter and the disciples? (In a boat on the water)
- When the disciples saw someone walking on the water, did they know who it was at first? (no)
- Who was the person walking toward them? (Jesus)
- Who got out of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus? (Peter)
- When Peter started to sink, did Jesus reach out and catch him? (yes)
- Jesus showed Peter that he can trust God. Does Jesus show us we can trust God, too? (yes)
Family Activity: Watercolor Memory Verse
WHAT YOU NEED: Activity page, watercolor paint, paintbrush, cup of water
WHAT YOU DO:
– Before the Activity: Print off the activity page and give it to your child. Set the watercolor paint, paintbrush, and the cup of water on the table.
– During the Activity: Review the Bible story with your child by pointing to the pictures on the activity page. Then point to the verse and repeat it together. After practicing the verse, encourage your child to use the watercolor paint to decorate their page as they choose.
WHAT YOU SAY:
– During the Activity: “What do you see on the page? (Pause.) A boat! Peter got out of the boat and walked, right on the water toward Jesus. Jesus showed Peter that he can trust God. We can trust God, too! Let’s practice our memory verse together to help us remember that we can trust God. ‘Trust in the Lord with all your heart,’ Proverbs 3:5. Now let me see you paint your picture!”
– After the Activity: “Your painting is beautiful. I’m so glad that Jesus showed us how to trust God. We can always trust God, and this verse helps us remember that. Who can trust God?” (I can trust God.)