Main point: God told us He would give us Jesus.
Bible story: The Angel and Mary ● Luke 1:26-33, 38, 46-49
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- “Today’s Bible story began with a young woman. Was her name Miriam or Mary?” (Mary)
- “Who did God send to tell Mary the good news about Jesus?” (an angel)
- “Was Mary surprised and afraid when she saw the angel?” (yes)
- “Did the angel tell Mary not to be alone or not to be afraid?” (not to be afraid)
- “Did the angel say Mary would have a baby boy or girl?” (baby boy)
- “Did the angel tell Mary that the baby would be God’s Son?” (yes)
- “What was the baby’s name?” (Jesus)
- “When God sent the angel to visit Mary, did He tell us He would give us Jesus?” (yes)
Family Activity: Words That Start With “A”
WHAT YOU NEED: activity page, crayons or markers
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Print off the activity page and give it to your child.
- During the Activity: Point out and identify the letter A in the center of the page. Encourage your child to color the “A.” Talk about the pictures on the page, naming each one. Guide your child in drawing a circle around three items that start with the letter A (airplane, alligator, apple) and draw a large “X” over the three items that don’t start with the letter “A” (book, dog, and tree). Then encourage them to color the pictures that they circled.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- During the Activity: “What do you see in the center of your paper? (Pause.) Yes, the letter “A!” Color the letter ‘A’. (Pause.)
I see some pictures on the page. Some of these pictures start with the letter ‘A’ which makes the ‘ah’ sound like ‘apple.’ Do you see an apple on the page? Draw a circle around it! (Pause.) I see two more things that start with the letter A. Can you find them? When you see them, draw a circle round them.
Great job! What about the other three pictures? Does book start with ‘A’? No, let’s put
a big ‘X’ over the book.” (Pause and repeat with the two remaining items.)
- After the Activity: “You did a great job of finding all the things that start with ‘A’ on your page. Do you know what else starts with the letter ‘A’? Angel! Just like the angel who gave Mary a very special message. The angel told Mary she would have a baby and name him Jesus. God loves us so much, He gave us His Son, Jesus. How do we know God loves us?” (God gave us Jesus.)