Main point: God’s power can protect me.
Bible story: Daniel and the Lions ● Daniel 6:1-23
As a family, watch this week’s video and discuss these questions together:
- Who was today’s Bible story about? (Daniel, the king)
- What was today’s Bible story about? (Daniel worked for the king, and there were grumpy guys who were jealous of Daniel. They tricked the king into making a new law that if someone prayed to anyone other than the king, they would be thrown to the lions. Daniel loved God, and continued to pray to him. The grumpy guys saw Daniel and told the king. Daniel was thrown to the lions, but God’s power kept him safe and protected Daniel!)
- What does this story teach us? (God’s power can protect us.)
- How do you know that God’s power can help us make the right choice? (God’s power protected Daniel from the lions, and His power can protect us, too.)
Family Activity: Story Ring
WHAT YOU NEED: activity page, scissors, yarn, crayons or markers, and a hole punch
WHAT YOU DO:
– Before the Activity: Print off the activity page and give it to your child.
– During the Activity: Encourage your child to color the pictures. Then, help them cut along the dotted lines on each page. Next, punch holes in the designated areas on each picture and tie the cards together using the yarn.
WHAT YOU SAY:
– Before the Activity:“We heard an AMAZING story today about how God’s power protected Daniel from some hungry lions.”
– During the Activity: “I will help you make a story ring. It will help you tell Daniel’s story to other people. First, you need these story pictures. (Give your child the activity page.) Look at your pictures and find this one. (Hold up the picture of Daniel praying.)
This is Daniel. Daniel loved God and prayed to Him every day. Now look at your story pictures and find this picture. (Hold up the picture of Daniel and King Darius.) This is Daniel and King Darius. Daniel worked for the king. King Darius and Daniel were friends.
Now find this picture. (Hold up the grumpy guys.) These guys did not want King Darius and Daniel to be friends, so they tricked the king into making a law that said Daniel could not pray to God. If he did, they would throw him into a lions’ den!
What did Daniel do? (Pause for response.) He sure did! Daniel prayed to God every day like he always had.
Okay, you have one picture left. Look at the picture and tell me what you see. (Pause for response.) Yes! Daniel and the lions with their mouths closed. Daniel is not hurt! God protected Daniel from the lions! Let’s put all the story cards together in order and attach them with yarn.”
– After the Activity: “God’s power protected Daniel from the lions. God is powerful and His power can protect us, too. Who is powerful?” (God is powerful.)