Main point: God’s power helps me make the right choice.
Bible story: Daniel’s Food ● Daniel 1:8-17
As a family, watch this week’s video and discuss these questions together:
- Who was today’s Bible story about? (Daniel, the king)
- What was today’s Bible story about? (King Nebuchadnezzar had a training program and he chose Daniel to be in it. Back then, God had rules about what His people could eat. That meant Daniel would have to say no to all the fancy food and drink on the king’s table — people normally didn’t say no to the king. God helped Daniel make the right choice and follow God’s rules. With God’s help, Daniel made the choice to only eat vegetables and drink water.)
- What does this story teach us? (God’s power can help us make the right choice.)
- How do you know that God’s power can help us make the right choice? (God’s power helped Daniel, and God’s power helps us make the right choice, too.)
Family Activity: Daniel Maze
WHAT YOU NEED: activity page, crayons or markers
WHAT YOU DO:
– Before the Activity: Print off the activity page and give it to your child. Then, place the crayons or markers on the table.
– During the Activity: Point out Daniel at the top of the page and the veggies and water at the bottom of the page. Encourage your child to trace a path from Daniel to the food he chose, bypassing all the food from the king’s table along the way.
WHAT YOU SAY:
– During the Activity: “Do you see Daniel at the top of the page? We need to help Daniel get to the food he chose — the vegetables and water at the bottom of the page. Use a crayon to trace a path from Daniel to the food at the top, but watch out for the food from the king’s table along with way!”
– After the Activity: “Great job! You helped Daniel get to the vegetables and water at the bottom of the page! That’s what he chose to eat instead of the food from the king’s table. Daniel had God’s help to make the right choice. God’s power will help US make the right choice, too! I’m so glad God made us and gives us power to do the right thing. Who is powerful?” (God is powerful.)