Main point: I can love everyone the way Jesus loves everyone.
Bible story: Peter Goes to the House of Cornelius ● Acts 10
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- Was Peter friends with Jesus? (yes)
- Peter shared the good news that Jesus loves us and wants to be our friend forever. Did Peter share this good news with everyone or only one person? (everyone)
- Whose house did Peter visit? (Cornelius)
- Even though Cornelius was different from Peter, did Peter choose to love him the way Jesus loves everyone? (yes)
- Who did Cornelius gather to hear the special message Peter shared with him? (his friends and family)
- Can you love everyone the way Jesus loves everyone, like Peter did? (yes)
Family Activity: Tell Everyone!
WHAT YOU NEED: table, sheet or tablecloth, plush toys
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Line up the plush animals along a wall. Encourage your child to help you build Cornelius’ house by draping a sheet or tablecloth over a table so that it hangs over the edges.
- During the Activity: Lead the children to crawl into Cornelius’ house where you will review the Bible story. As you review the Bible story, send each child out of the house to choose a plush friend to bring back into the house so the friend can hear the special message.
- After the Activity: Talk about how Peter told his family about Jesus, his friends about Jesus, and also shared a special message with people who weren’t his family or his friends!
WHAT YOU SAY:
- During the Activity: “Thank you for helping me. Now we can go inside Cornelius’ house. (Pause.) In our Bible story, today, Peter went to Cornelius’ house and told him a special message. Cornelius wasn’t Peter’s family. Cornelius wasn’t even Peter’s friend. But Peter wanted to love everyone the way Jesus loves everyone, so he told them a very special message! When Cornelius heard the message, he got his family and his friends to hear about it too!
Go pick one toy friend and bring it back to Cornelius’ house. Okay everyone, let’s tell our friend a special message… that Jesus wants to be their friend forever. Go pick another toy friend and bring it back to Cornelius’ house. We want everyone to hear the good news! (Continue with each toy.) Great job of telling everyone that Jesus wants to be our friend forever.”
- After the Activity: “Jesus loves everyone, and He wants to be everyone’s friend forever. Who wants to be your friend forever?” (Jesus wants to be my friend forever.)