Main point: I can thank God for food.
Bible story: Elijah and the Widow ● 1 Kings 17:7-16
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- Who was today’s Bible story about? (God, Elijah, the woman, the woman’s son)
- What happened in the Bible story? (God told Elijah to go to a town and a woman there would have food. When Elijah saw the woman, she only had enough food for her and her son. But Elijah told her God would give them all enough food. The woman baked a little bit of bread for Elijah first and then saw she had more flour and oil.)
- After the woman made Elijah bread, what did she have more of? (oil and flour)
- Was there enough food for all of them just like God promised? (yes)
- God has given us so many good things that we can thank Him for. Can you thank God for the food you see and eat? (yes)
Family Activity: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
WHAT YOU NEED: paper, pen
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Draw three columns on the paper and write “BREAKFAST,” “LUNCH,” and “DINNER” at the top of each one.
- During the Activity: Point out the first column: BREAKFAST. Ask your child to name their favorite foods to eat for breakfast. Write or draw simple pictures of the foods your child shares. Repeat for the lunch and dinner columns.
- After the Activity: Talk about the foods your child named for each column and thank God for them.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- During the Activity: “Who gives us good food to eat? (Pause.) Yes, God gives us good food!
- Let’s talk about breakfast! What are your favorite foods to eat for breakfast? (Pause.) You call them out, and I’ll write them down in the Breakfast column. (Pause.) Yum! Those all sound good.
- Let’s talk about lunch! What are your favorite foods to eat for lunch? (Pause.) Call them out, and I’ll write them down in the Lunch column. (Pause.) I see some of my favorites, too!
- Last column, let’s talk about dinner! What are your favorite foods to eat for dinner? (Pause.) You call them out, and I’ll write them down in the Dinner column. (Pause.) Wow, you listed a lot of great food!”
- After the Activity: “Look at all these yummy foods like (name some of the foods on the page). We can thank God for all these different and yummy foods. God is SO, SO good! Who is good?” (God is good.)