Main point: Jesus can help me choose joy.
Bible story: Paul and Silas in Prison ● Acts 16:16-34
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- We learned about two friends today. What were their names? (Paul and Silas)
- In the story, were Paul and Silas at home, in jail, or at school? (in jail)
- What did Paul and Silas do in jail: sing or sleep? (sing)
- While Paul and Silas were singing and praising with joy, was there an earthquake or a snowstorm? (an earthquake)
- Paul and Silas told the guard that Jesus wanted to be his friend forever. Was the guard full of joy too? (yes)
- Even though Paul and Silas were in jail, they chose joy. Can Jesus help you choose joy too? (yes)
- Who can help us do everything? (Jesus can help us do everything.)
Family Activity: Show Joy
WHAT YOU NEED: blankets and sheets, music player, Quest worship playlist
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Arrange the blankets and sheets to make a large square on the floor for you and your child to use as a stage.
- During the Activity: Play music from the Quest worship playlist. Take turns stepping onto the sheet stage and doing something that shows joy, like dancing, clapping, smiling, singing, or laughing.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the Activity: “Today, we’re going to show each other different ways we can choose joy! We can choose joy by smiling, singing, dancing, or just doing anything that makes us happy. (point to the sheet stage) And we can stand on this super cool stage to show our joy!”
- After the Activity: “Great job showing joy! Did you know that Jesus can help us choose joy every day? In fact, Jesus can help us do everything! Who can help you do everything?” (Jesus can help me do everything.)