Main point: Jesus can help me choose love.
Bible story: We Love Because God Loves Us ● 1 John 4:9-13
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- Does God love you bigger or smaller than your arms can stretch? (bigger)
- Was Jesus born on the first Christmas? (yes)
- Did Jesus stop to talk to someone named Zane or Zacchaeus? (Zacchaeus)
- One of Jesus’ friends said he didn’t know Jesus. What was the name of Jesus’ friend? (Peter)
- Does Jesus want us to listen, help, and forgive our friends? (yes)
- Who can help us do everything? (Jesus can help us do everything.)
Family Activity: Heart Hop
WHAT YOU NEED: pen, six sheets of paper, and scissors
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: On each sheet of paper, use a pen to draw a large heart. Then, cut out the hearts with scissors and place them in a trail on the floor, each about a foot apart.
- During the Activity: Hop with your child from heart to heart, saying one phrase from the prompts in the “What You Say” section after each jump.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the Activity: “We’re going to hop around today and learn about some ways we can love others!”
- During the Activity:
- “We can show love by helping others.” (Hop.)
- “We can show love by listening to others.” (Hop.)
- “We can show love by encouraging others.” (Hop.)
- “We can show love by forgiving others.” (Hop.)
- “We can show love by being kind to others.” (Hop.)
- “We can show love by sharing with others.” (Hop.)
- After the Activity: “Great job hopping around! God loves us so much, He gave us Jesus to be our friend forever. Jesus can help us do everything — like love others the way God loves us. Who can help you do everything?” (Jesus can help me do everything.)