Main point: Jesus can help me choose patience.
Bible story: Simeon at the Temple ● Luke 2:22-39
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- Today we learned about a man who had to be patient. What was his name? (Simeon)
- Did God tell Simeon that he would get to see a very special person? (yes)
- Did Simeon whine about God’s promise or wait patiently for it? (wait patiently)
- Simeon was patient and waited with a happy heart. Can Jesus help us choose patience, too? (yes)
- Who can help us do everything? (Jesus can help me do everything.)
Family Activity: More Patiently
WHAT YOU NEED: music player, Quest worship playlist
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Tell your child you’re going to practice patience today.
- During the Activity: Play the Quest worship playlist and have a dance party. After about 30 seconds, pause the music and stand as still as possible. Encourage your child to be patient and not move until the music starts again, then play the music and keep dancing. Continue to dance and freeze for as long as your child is interested.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the Activity: “Let’s dance together!” (Play the music.)
- During the Activity: “When I pause the music, let’s stand very still. (Pause the music.) Okay, now when I play the music, we can start dancing again! Let’s be patient and wait for the music.” (Wait a few seconds, then play the music again.)
- After the Activity: “Great job! Sometimes, it’s not easy to be patient, but Jesus can help us choose patience. Jesus can help us do everything! Who can help you do everything?” (Jesus can help me do everything.)