Main point: Jesus helps us choose joy.
Bible story: Paul and Silas are Thrown into Prison ● Acts 16:16-40
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- Who did we learn about in our Bible story? (Paul and Silas)
- When Paul and Silas were in jail, did they whine or did they sing songs of praise and thanks to God? (sang songs of praise and thanks to God)
- When Paul and Silas sang, what happened in the jail (The ground began to shake, the locks broke, and the doors opened.)
- When the jailer found Paul and Silas, they told him about Jesus. Did the jailer believe in Jesus? (yes)
- Even though Paul and Silas were in jail, they chose joy. Can Jesus help you choose joy too? (yes)
Family Activity: Walk in the Way of Love
WHAT YOU NEED: no supplies
WHAT YOU DO:
- During the Activity: Teach your child the memory verse as you sing to the tune of “Mary Had a Little Lamb.” Repeat several times in different volume levels. Encourage your child to then whisper, sing loudly, or sing in a regular voice before each repetition.
- After the Activity: Talk about how we can follow Jesus and walk in love because Jesus wants to be our friend forever.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- During the Activity: “Let’s practice our memory verse! It helps us remember Jesus wants to be our friend forever and He wants us to love like He does.”
“Walk (walk in place)
in the way of love (hug self)
just as Christ (point up)
loved us.” (thumbs to chest)
Ephesians 5:2 (open hands like a book)
Now let’s sing the verse like this.
(to the tune of “Mary Had a Little Lamb”)
“Walk in the way of love,
Way of love, way of love.
Walk in the way of love.
Just as Christ loved us.”
- After the Activity: “We can follow Jesus and walk in love as we love others. I’m SO glad that Jesus loves you and me and wants to be our friend forever. Who wants to be your friend forever?” (Jesus wants to be my friend forever.)