Main point: Jesus is always with me.
Bible story: An Angel Helps Peter Escape From Prison ● Acts 12:1-19
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- At the beginning of the Bible story, where was Peter? (in prison)
- When Peter was in prison, what did his friends do to help him? (they prayed for Peter)
- When Peter was in prison, who helped him escape? (an angel)
- How did Peter’s friends feel when they saw Peter had been rescued? (glad)
- This story can help us remember Jesus wasn’t alone and we aren’t either. Is Jesus always with you? (yes)
Family Activity: Follow, Follow, Follow Memory Verse
WHAT YOU NEED: no supplies needed
WHAT YOU DO:
- During the Activity: Explain you’ll play a game like “Follow the Leader.” Instruct your child to lead you in doing a movement. (e.g., jump up and down, clap your hands, pat your head, twirl in a circle, pretend to fly like an airplane, wave your arms from side to side, etc.) When I say, “Freeze!” we’ll stop doing the movement and say the memory verse together. Repeat the activity for as long as your child is interested.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- During the Activity: “I want you to be the leader and lead us in doing a movement. When I say, ‘Freeze!’ we’ll stop doing the movement and practice the memory verse together. Here we go!”Memory Verse:
“Jesus said, (cup hands around mouth)
‘Come (motion towards self)
follow me.’” (walk in place)
Matthew 4:19 (open hands like a book)
- After the Activity: “That was so fun! Thanks for being the leader I could follow. Our memory verse teaches us that Jesus wants us to follow Him and when we follow Jesus, we love everyone! Who wants to be your friend forever?” (Jesus wants to be my friend forever.)