Main point: Jesus loves me and wants to help me.
Bible story: The Centurion ● Matthew 8:5-13
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- Who was today’s Bible story about? (Jesus, the centurion, the centurion’s servant)
- What happened in the Bible story? (A centurion told Jesus his servant was at home sick. Jesus asked if the centurion wanted Jesus to come to his home, but the servant believed Jesus could just say that his servant would get better and he would. Then Jesus healed the centurion’s servant.)
- Did Jesus need to go to the centurion’s house to heal his servant” (no)
- How did Jesus help the centurion? (Jesus healed the centurion’s servant.)
- Does Jesus want to help you too? (yes)
Family Activity: Looking For Help
WHAT YOU NEED: activity page, crayons or markers
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Print off the activity page and give it to your child.
- During the Activity: As you review the Bible story, encourage your child to draw a line along the path to help the centurion find Jesus and then continue along the path to his healed servant.
- After the Activity: Encourage your child to color the pictures. Talk about how Jesus wanted to help the centurion and his servant because Jesus loves everyone.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the Activity: “We’re going to help this centurion (point) find Jesus so Jesus can help his servant like in our Bible story today.”
- During the Activity: “Put your finger on the picture of the centurion. (Demonstrate.) A centurion is a soldier who leads a lot of other soldiers. We’re going to draw a line on the path to help the centurion find Jesus. When you get to the picture of Jesus, stop and put your finger on Him.When the centurion found Jesus, he asked Jesus to help his sick servant. Jesus told the centurion He would come to his house, but the centurion said he knew Jesus was so powerful that He could make his servant all better by just saying it. And that’s what happened! Draw a line on the path from Jesus to the centurion and his servant. When you get to the picture of the centurion and his servant, stop and put your finger on them.When the centurion got home, his servant was all better! Jesus had helped them! Now you can color all of the pictures.”
- After the Activity: “Jesus helped the centurion and his servant because Jesus loves them. Jesus wants to help us because Jesus loves us, too. Who loves you?” (Jesus loves me.)