Main point: Jesus’ miracles are amazing.
Bible story: Catching Fish ● Luke 5:1-10
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- Who was today’s Bible story about? (Jesus, Peter)
- What happened in the Bible story? (Jesus told Peter they should go fishing, but Peter hadn’t been able to catch any fish. But Peter let down his net and there were LOTS of fish because Jesus helped Peter and did something only He could do.)
- Who was with Peter and helped him catch fish? (Jesus)
- When Jesus helped Peter, was Peter able to catch one fish or lots of fish? (lots of fish)
- Jesus’ miracles are amazing! He could help Peter catch fish when Peter wasn’t able to catch any. Who is amazing? (Jesus is amazing.)
Family Activity: Amazing Catch!
WHAT YOU NEED: activity pages, crayons or markers
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Print off the activity page and give it to your child.
- During the Activity: Encourage your child to draw fish in the net while you review the Bible story.
- After the Activity: Talk about how Jesus did something for Peter that only He can do. When Jesus does something that only He can do, it’s called “a miracle.”
WHAT YOU SAY:
- During the Activity: “In our Bible story today, Peter had been fishing all night, but his fishing nets were still empty. This is Peter. (Point to Peter standing at the front of the boat.) This is his empty fishing net. (Point to the net.)
This is Jesus. (Point to Jesus to the left of Peter.) Jesus told Peter to try again. Peter said he had been fishing all night,
but since Jesus told him to try again, he would. And that’s when Jesus did something that only He can do. It was amazing!
It was a miracle!
Okay, start drawing some fish in Peter’s net. Make sure you put in a lot of fish. Jesus did something amazing and Peter
caught so many fish that they filled two boats, and the boats began to sink! Peter had to ask his friends in another boat to
- After the Activity: “Wow! Only Jesus could help Peter catch all of those fish. It was a miracle! Jesus really is amazing! Who is amazing?” (Jesus is amazing.)