Main point: Jesus teaches us how to live.
Bible story: House On A Rock ● Matthew 7:24-27
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- “We learned the story about the man who built his house on the rock. Did Jesus or John tell this story?” (Jesus)
- “How many men built a house in Jesus’ story?” (two)
- “Did one of the men build his house on sand or snow?” (sand)
- “Did the other man build his house on a rock or a river?” (a rock)
- “When it rained, what happened to the house built on the sand?” (it fell down)
- “Did the house built on the rock fall down?” (no)
- “Who made the wise choice: the man who built his house on the sand or the man who built his house on the rock?” (the man who built his house on the rock)
- “Did Jesus tell this story to teach us how to live?” (yes)
Family Activity: Folding House
WHAT YOU NEED: activity pages, crayons or markers
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Print off the activity page and give it to your child.
- During the Activity: Help your child fold on the solid lines. The paper should be folded so the house design is on the outside of the fold. The words will be on the back of the house. Have your child decorate the outside of their house and then draw your family on the inside of the house.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the Activity: “In our Bible story today, Jesus taught us how to live. We heard about two men who built houses, one on the sand and the other on the rock.”
- During the Activity: “I have a house for you to make and decorate. Fold your paper on the solid lines. (Pause.) You should be able to see the roof and outside walls of your house. (Help fold as needed.) Now decorate the outside of your house and draw a picture of our family inside. (Pause.) You did a great job building our house and showing your family in it.”
- After the Activity: “Both houses looked great, but then it started to rain, harder and harder. The house built on the sand fell down because the rain washed the sand away. But the house on the rock was still standing. The rain couldn’t wash away the rock. Jesus told this story so He could teach us how to live and be strong like the house built on the rock. I’m so glad Jesus teaches us important things. Who teaches you important things?” (Jesus teaches me important things.)