Main point: The angels tell about Jesus.
Bible story: The Shepherds ● Luke 2:8-21
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- “Who was watching the sheep in the fields?” (the shepherds)
- “Who showed up in the fields with God’s light shining all around?” (Angels)
- “Did the angel want the shepherds to be afraid or not afraid?” (not afraid)
- “Did the angel have good news or bad news?” (good news)
- “Where did the angel tell the shepherds the Savior had been born?” (in Bethlehem)
- “Did a choir of angels or another flock of sheep show up to sing praises to God?” (a choir of angels)
- “Did the shepherds stay with their sheep or rush to Bethlehem?” (they rushed to Bethlehem)
- “Did the shepherds find Jesus?” (yes)
Family Activity: Searching For The Letter “S”
WHAT YOU NEED: activity page, crayons or markers
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Print off the activity page and give it to your child.
- During the Activity: Encourage your child to find and circle all the S’s on the page. Talk about the field scene in the background and how the shepherds were in the field when the angel appeared with some very big news.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the Activity: “What letter do you see in the center of the page? (Pause.) Yes, it’s an ‘S’! ‘S’ is for Shepherd. Find all the S’s you see on the page and draw a circle around each one.”
I see a field on your page. Where were the shepherds on the night Jesus was born? (Pause.) They were out in the field, watching over their sheep. That’s right! And what happened? (Pause.) Yes! An angel appeared to tell them that Jesus was born. And then a whole sky full of angels appeared because this was VERY big news! What did the shepherds do when they heard that Jesus was born? (Pause.) That’s right, they ran to see baby Jesus because they were so excited!”
- After the Activity: “Great job! ‘S’ is for Shepherd! After they saw baby Jesus, the shepherds told everyone the good news! They wanted everyone to know that God gave us Jesus. And why did God give us Jesus? Because He loves us! Who gave us Jesus?” (God gave us Jesus.)