Main point: We can celebrate that God made me to do big things.
Bible story: David Praises ● 2 Samuel 6:12-15
As a family, watch this week’s video and discuss these questions together:
- “Who did God choose to be the king?” (David)
- “Before David was a king, he did big things as a shepherd. What animals did he protect?” (sheep)
- “David also did big things like facing a giant. What was the giant’s name?” (Goliath)
- “Did God help David do big things like facing Goliath?” (yes)
- “Another big thing David did was help his friend’s son. Was his son named Jonathan or Joseph?” (Jonathan)
- “God made David to do lots of big things and David celebrated by praising God! Can we celebrate that God made us to do big things, too?” (yes)
Family Activity: Memory Match
WHAT YOU NEED: activity page, scissors
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Print off the activity page and cut out the cards. Shuffle the cards and lay them in a 2×2 grid pattern facedown.
- During the Activity: With your child, take turns turning over two cards to find a match. If you or your child find a match, remove those cards from the grid. If you or your child don’t find a match, turn those cards back over. Continue the activity until all matches are found.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the Activity: “Let’s play memory match! When it’s your turn, turn over two cards to see if they match!”
- During the Activity: “We’ve been learning about David all month long! (Hold up ‘David as king’ card.) God chose David as king! That was a big job for him to do one day.
- (Hold up the ‘David with sheep’ card.) “David was a shepherd and had to protect his sheep from lions and other big animals! That was a big thing for sure.
(Hold up the ‘David carrying the slingshot’ card.) “David faced the giant, Goliath! It was a BIG job that required courage, but God was with Him!
(Hold up the ‘David helping Mephibosheth’ card.) “David helped Jonathan’s son, Mephibosheth (meh-FIHB-oh-sheh-th). Helping others is a big job, but God will help us!
“God made David to do big things! In our story today, we’ll hear about what David did to show God how much he loved Him.”
- After the Activity: “Great job finding the matches! Remember, we can do big things like David did, and we can celebrate that God made us to do them. Who made you to do big things?” (God made me to do big things.)