Main point: I can thank God for food.
Bible story: Manna ● Exodus 16
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- “Did the Bible story take place in a desert or on an island?” (in a desert)
- “While God’s people were in the desert, were they hungry?” (yes)
- “When they were sleeping, did God cover the ground with bread or bananas?” (bread)
- “Did God give them the food they needed or did they run out?” (God gave them the food they needed)
- “Can we thank God for our food and water?” (yes)
Family Activity: Tabletop Thanks
WHAT YOU NEED: activity page, crayons or markers, clear tape
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Print off the activity page and give it to your child.
- During the Activity: Encourage your child to use the crayons or markers to decorate the food on their paper. Help your child fold at the designated line and tape it shut.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- Before the Activity: “Who can we thank for all the food we have? (Pause.) That’s right! We can thank God for our food. Let’s make a thankful decoration for our kitchen table.”
- During the Activity: “No matter what food we eat, we can always thank God for it. Use the crayons or markers to color in the food on your paper. (Pause.) Very nice! Now we’ll fold it over at these lines and tape it closed. Add the piece of tape right here. (Point to the bottom where the edges overlap.) Fantastic! Now we have a table decoration that will help us remember to always thank God for our food.”
- After the Activity: “In our story today, we heard about the Israelites. They were God’s people. They were out in the hot, sandy desert, and they were hungry. God told them He would give them food. Every night while they were asleep, God covered the ground with bread. When the Israelites woke up, they had bread for breakfast. We can thank God for everything, including food! Who can you thank for everything?” (I can thank God for everything.)