Main point: The shepherds run to Jesus.
Bible story: The Shepherds ● Luke 2:8-22
As a family, watch this week’s video and then discuss a few questions together.
- Who was today’s Bible story about? (Jesus, the shepherds, the angel)
- What happened in the Bible story? (When Jesus was born, there were shepherds in a field nearby watching their sheep. When the shepherds heard the good news, they went to visit Jesus. After they saw Jesus, they left and told others the good news of Jesus.)
- Who told the shepherds about Jesus? (the angel)
- Where did the shepherds go after they heard the news? (they left to see Jesus)
- Is Jesus God’s Son? (yes)
Family Activity: What Comes Next?
WHAT YOU NEED: Activity page, scissors, glue
WHAT YOU DO:
- Before the Activity: Print off the activity page and give it to your child. Cut off the instructions strip along the bottom of the page. Place the squares next to your child.
- During the Activity: Have your child look at the squares and identify the angel, star, and sheep from the Bible story. Point out the empty “blocks” at the end of each row on their page. Encourage your child to find the squares that fill those empty spaces following the pattern on that line. Instruct your child to glue them to their page. For instance, if the pattern is sheep, angel, star, sheep, angel, star, [blank], your child would add a sheep square to the empty spot.
- After the Activity: Talk about how the shepherds in our story were so excited about Baby Jesus that they ran to tell everyone about Him.
WHAT YOU SAY:
- During the Activity: “Do you see the blank at the end of each line? I want you to look at the pattern and see if you can figure out what goes in the blank. You can use the squares next to your page to fill in the blanks. (Pause.) You did it! Great job!”
- After the Activity: “The angels were excited to tell the shepherds about Jesus’ birth! The shepherds were excited to hear this good news! EVERYONE was excited about this very special baby because Jesus is God’s Son! Who is God’s Son?” (Jesus is God’s Son.)