As a church, we put our generosity into practice every week — but we especially stretch our faith during the Year-End Offering. This offering is an opportunity to thank God for how good He’s been and to believe Him for greater things as we invest in the work He is doing through Elevation Church.
We as parents get the opportunity to leave a legacy of generosity for our kids by sharing the value of giving with them. The most powerful way we can communicate this is through our own example.
Your family can pray and discuss how God is calling you to participate in this year’s offering. It might mean taking a step of faith and starting to tithe or giving beyond the tithe. Use this as an opportunity to talk to your child about what tithing means and how to give God’s way. Spend time thinking about next year and pick one thing you’re believing in God for. This could be a name of a person you’re praying for salvation for or a word that represents an area of life your family wants to see growth or a miracle in.
Below are a few resources to help your family participate in this season and grow in your faith together.
1. Family Discussion: Tithing and Giving
Watch this video with your child to learn about the tithe and then choose a few questions to discuss together.
- What is the tithe?
- What should we tithe?
- What can our tithe do?
- How do we tithe?
- How can you be generous with what God has given you?
2. Help your child start tithing
If your child does not currently tithe, download the digital Give. Save. Spend. kit or grab a physical kit at your local campus to help them manage their money God’s way. The kit includes a family devotional, money collection boxes, a chore chart, and an instruction card.
3. How to choose a word for 2022
December 11 is our Year-End Offering Weekend, when we will bring our offerings to God and also write down a word representing what we are believing God for in the upcoming year. Whether you’re participating in the offering or not, you can still choose a word for yourself and/or your family.
Some questions to help you choose a word:
- What word would make God happy and you happy this year?
- Is there a way you want to be more like Jesus this year? What word describes how you want to be more like Jesus?
- What’s a word that would encourage you to help people around you and love them like Jesus?
- Read Galatians 5:22-23. What’s one fruit of the Spirit you want to grow in over the next year?
- Is there something you want to get better at this year?
- Is there something our family wants to get better at this year?
- What does our family want to be known for?
- Where is God calling our family to be more like Him? What’s a word that would make God happy?